Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Well, headstart wasn't too successful... How will the game fair? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=97645)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:26 AM

Well, headstart wasn't too successful... How will the game fair?

Well, I'm basically referring to the amount of downtime we've had... Honestly, I feel conned, I mainly pre-ordered for the Headstart and suffice it to say, I managed maybe 1/3 of the time I could have done if the servers where actually up and running?

I mean, pretty much all of the downtime was in EU time, and before someone says they have to take the servers down at some time... If it's going to be daily, 2 times a night or something for upto 3 hours, what's the point in playing? Besides, most of it was 'unexpected'.

Now I'm not an expert, but I've played an MMO for over 7 years, close to 8, and basically, their downtime hardly existed! In all of that time, there has only been one time where I spent half an hour away for downtime, their updates took maybe, 10 minutes at max?

Now, I'm not going to say I'm leaving, but if this continues, I don't see myself playing the game after the first month... And I doubt I'm alone.

This isn't the first MMO by Cryptic, so really, has there been any need for all of this downtime? There's a post saying we've 'blown all expectations', so, what happened to the exprience of multiple other games? And is it that hard to see how many pre-orders have been taken? Or keys activated?

I just hope they sort this, and quickly, because as for the headstart, I feel pretty conned so far. I just hope my Borg bridge officer is right... Of which I may add, I haven't recieved the code for...

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:28 AM

Headstart downtime was not bad at all. Great launch of a headstart compared to many.

If you can't live with some hours downtime, yeah your right, maybe you should stop playing.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:30 AM

It is just coming out, and the downtime is not that bad.
Eve is down an hour a day sometimes more.
Headstart was pretty good.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:33 AM

I didnt relize headstart wasnt "too successfull" till you told me:eek:, I thought it went pretty good in relation to other game launches have been involved in.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:34 AM

I thought it was going well. Usually it takes a week AFTER launch to be this stable with other MMOs.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:34 AM

fare

/10char

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraigUK (Post 1866624)
Headstart downtime was not bad at all. Great launch of a headstart compared to many.

If you can't live with some hours downtime, yeah your right, maybe you should stop playing.

I don't really call 40 minutes in, we have an hour off, 20 minutes 2 hours later, which isn't bad, but proves stability is a problem, then a 2 hour block of it 2 hours after that one, and I believe there was another while I was asleep, then maintenance at 11 - 1 GMT, which is about the only one in the day I agree with, then a nice 3 hour one later on... Then a downtime last night as well... In total, there's been something like 10 hours... And prodominantly in EU times... An hour, maybe 2 is acceptable in my mind, at say, 11 - 1 GMT, which isn't really doing anyone harm, even on weekends it's acceptable.

I know Eve has an hour a day, which is fine, but when the serves disconnect for fun, and then they whack on 3 hours of downtime... It's a little past it...

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:36 AM

Meh, after playing other MMOs, I've learned not to hardcore it up - I play when I feel like it, and when the servers are down, I play something else. I'm actually fairly patient about down servers, I'm pretty used to it - my real problem is that I've lost the will to go through Federation PVE after OB, and have resorted to just doing Klingon PVP.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B1g_Dav3 (Post 1866824)
I know Eve has an hour a day, which is fine, but when the serves disconnect for fun, and then they whack on 3 hours of downtime... It's a little past it...

You and I both know that it isn't fun :p

Hopefully, the downtime now will make the game more stable in the future. MMOs are frequently down around the time of launch for both the game and expansions, and for large content patches.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:39 AM

i give it 4/10. becuase of all the frickin instance loads. it often got stuck. then add the server crashes, then lagg. compared to other mmo's pre-launch? i dunno, maybe a 7/10. i only have been in maybe 5 betas.
this game better hurry the heck up with fixin the loading screen crap, that alone will make people think theyre playing an old playstation 1, nevermind the fact it gets stuck anyway.