Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   "BOff A.I. = Aint Intelligent?" or "The Perils of Ground Combat" (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=97650)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 03:27 AM

"BOff A.I. = Aint Intelligent?" or "The Perils of Ground Combat"

Now that we, the pre-order folks, have been playing upwards of a month or so, I've noticed some mild to severe problems with out beloved pets, the Bridge Officers. Now before you begin "it's beta" or "we just launched" rationalizations, I am not here to simply complain. I am trying to create a post to discuss my specific observed problems and to attempt to get some kind of discourse on problems other people have been having or maybe suggestions of what could be done to fix those same said observed problems, along the lines of, "if that didn't work for you, did you try this..?"

I would very much like to make this a sticky, however I either don't have the clearance level or, more likely, do not know how.

For me beyond the BOff getting hung up on bits of scenery, particularly as a try to sprint through empty corridors my biggest issue is in trying to create a strictly melee BOff. This is something that I chatted about on a thread about melee weapons for Feds at creation level much like our Klingon couterparts. However, since we're "live" now, I thought I had worked the kinks out for this and made due with what we were given, until I observed how the same said BOff behaved.

In shortest terms: they stood there. It ended up cloaking itself, but as far as actually attacking anything - nada. Yes, I actually used the command "attack that" and saw the number of the BOff represented upon the target. Mainly I ended up doing a lot of direct control over that BOff all the while controlling my engineer as well. If I let up for one moment, more standing around cloaked.

So I thought to heck with it, I'll slap a ranged weapon back in her hands. This led to her standing around cloaked with a gun in her hand. Now this has left me confused as I'm not sure if the power sets I picked was confusing the poor thing - not to mention the level 9 points on both "leg sweep" and "lunge" that I now felt were wasted at giving her a gun and the time I took out to run to DS9 just to grab her a bat'leth and the credits I spent on it...any way...

So I'm left to wonder, is there a problem with the power sets? Is there a general AI problems with pets, particularly on a crowded map? Or should I give up trying to build a melee BOff and simply let them run a muck like a child desperately in need of Ritalin?

If there are others of you having similar problems with you BOffs during ground combat, please respond and together we can communicate our problems so they can be rectified.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 01:47 PM

Well at the risk of responding to my own thread...

I've been playing well beyond since I wrote (very nearly admiral now) and I have noticed a tiny bit of difference.

Initially I had no points spent in Tactical Team Leader, thinking by the vague description that it might make an impact, I ended up spending all 9 points in the ability. I saw no result.

Okay then, I thought I'd wipe the character and replace it with a different species, I mean what does a Vulcan know about a bat'leth especially compared to a Klingon (I even change genders). Plus, maybe it's this whole stealth and ambush thing, I'll take that out and just let my Klingon run into the fray w/ Draw Fire to boot. Surely, that will do it. No result.

So far what I've been able to glean is that any melee that a BOff does not directly controlled by the player is due to a defensive response only when a melee attack is performed on that BOff, otherwise with no ranged weapon they'll just run back to you (and that's without a rally point) or lurk near the fire fight doing nothing. Even the Draw Fire ability didn't seem effective in keeping attention on that specific BOff and even if it did, having it run back to you kind of defeats the purpose of the power as grenades begin to explode around you.

At this point, I have all but given up attempting to have a melee only BOff. Even as novel and useful as it could be, with the current AI, I just don't think it's feasible (and a waste of points that cannot be reclaimed).

If this changes then definitely. If there is still some combination of powers that I haven't tried to make this work, please let me - and the community as a whole - know.

Archived Post 02-06-2010 01:56 PM

Thanks, some very useful info here. I was planning on making a bat'leth wielding Klingon tactical officer, but after reading this I will give him a phaser instead.:)

Archived Post 02-16-2010 10:35 AM

I wish I had read this sooner, my tactical stealth melee BOff attempt also ended in disaster. :)

Archived Post 02-17-2010 10:50 PM

The only time my Tact Officers use Lunge or Leg Sweep is if I click on their dam power button. It looks at this time as melee powers on BO is a total waste of points. :mad:

Archived Post 02-19-2010 03:58 AM

Wish I'd read this earlier. I tried making a Bat'Leth wielding Tac officer for my away team and she spent the entire time just cowering behind me and taking the occasional swipe at anything that got within melee range.
Rather disappointing really.
It seems that Tactical BOffs work best with a "Fire Team" style skill set, although I wouldn't trust the AI with Plasma Grenades (point blank throwing).

Archived Post 02-19-2010 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KnightErrant (Post 2144617)
Wish I'd read this earlier. I tried making a Bat'Leth wielding Tac officer for my away team and she spent the entire time just cowering behind me and taking the occasional swipe at anything that got within melee range.
Rather disappointing really.
It seems that Tactical BOffs work best with a "Fire Team" style skill set, although I wouldn't trust the AI with Plasma Grenades (point blank throwing).

I recently gave one of my BOs plasma grenades & so far he is reasonably good at using them, the funny thing though is that all my BOs will happily set themselves on fire by running & standing in the burning plasma after he has thrown them!

For maximum amusement though, try giving a BO the medical generator ability. The BO I gave it too became absolutely obsessed & kept dropping them every few seconds even in missions with no combat at all. For the first couple of days it just made me laugh, especially when she would have a medical generator right next to her as she beamed in.

Eventually though, hearing that sparkly sound when everything else was quiet & seeing she had dropped another one started to remind me too much of a badly house trained puppy so it had to go ;)

Archived Post 02-21-2010 06:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by TolaSrrup (Post 1965577)
At this point, I have all but given up attempting to have a melee only BOff. Even as novel and useful as it could be, with the current AI, I just don't think it's feasible (and a waste of points that cannot be reclaimed)..

I've had amazing success with melee Bridge Officers (even in OB). Specifically, the one I have now is the first BOff I got from the tutorial and I've never had any amount of trouble with her with any skillset. She never had an issue with Stealth Module, either, but I got tired of watching her use it on cooldown, even out of combat :p

Some things I've learned from tweaking her, and trying other melee build bridge officers on alts:
  • Bridge Officers will not fight empty handed. As weird as it is to see a female Andorian bat'lething her way across the countryside, having a weapon equipped was the only way I could get her to participate. She seems to use the combos fairly well, though obviously not too intelligently. I see you tried a bat'leth, so that doesn't specifically apply to your situation as much as it is just advice, however...
  • You can only ever have one melee bridge officer. Even if you equip bat'leths to everyone, all but one of them will suddenly develop severe autism and just kind of stand there, even if you manually issue orders. I've also noticed certain combinations of weapons will disable your melee officer. Make sure every ranged officer has a rifle (no pistols or phaser sidearms, not even dualies), and that everyone has a weapon; an unequipped officer will cause your melee officer to drool all over herself, as well as rendering the unequipped officer useless due to the first point.
  • I strongly recommend everyone have a melee tactical officer for their away team. Draw Fire and Leg Sweep keep the mobs off you and their feet, Lunge gives them an exploit and a decent damage bump, and you can round them out with Overwatch and a Science Officer with Masiform D I for survivability (and damage, from the latter). Having a melee officer with Overwatch also lets you get your own knuckles a little bloody without worrying about Twoshottimus Prime Swordmasters. :D Heck, I can AFK most ground missions as long as I get the officers attacking something before I do, which is great for when the pizza guy shows up.
I was melee for Ground from Ensign to RA and my first Tactical Officer has been by my side the whole time. I'm even doing the same on my Science-pretending-to-be-tactical Officer (whose melee tacoff is Vulcan, and is doing just fine, to address that concern... Vulcans have an innate Physical damage buff and a melee hold) and I'm having a lot of fun. You should definitely give it another shot! :)

Archived Post 02-21-2010 07:10 PM

I've found it rather annoying that they don't use exploit attacks enough, sure, occasionally, one will vaporize a bad guy, but even though three out of five of my BOs have exploit weapons, I hardly ever see them used to exploit. It just sucks when I'll have 4 or 5 high level enemies exposed, and I can't fire at them because my phaser is in cooldown, or I'm incapacitated, but my BOs just keep firing standard attacks at the enemies. what we need is a way to encourage the BOs to exploit, either with a skill, or a command or something like that. I have noticed that BOs will use Expose attacks all the time if they have exposing weapons, but exploits go largely unused.

Archived Post 02-21-2010 07:16 PM

Had the same experience with my Fed klingon weilding bat'leth. Would only melee attack if I initiated it, if not he would just stand there.