Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Controls, User Interface, and the STO Gateway (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Reduce Cooldown on AFK (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=984111)

mazinger2010 01-15-2014 05:42 PM

Reduce Cooldown on AFK

Just ran Mirror universe with 2 friends of mine. We que up for this any chance we get as I'm running a fairly geared character this gives us a chance to run something quick, easy, and fun with a lot of explosions. One of those friends went AFK for a moment, came back, and was hit with a 2 hour AFK penalty. This is completely ridiculous. I could understand a 20 minute penalty but this was just silly.

I purchased my lifetime membership a few months ago because I intended to invest time in this game PLAYING WITH MY FRIENDS. This however limits that capability as if they have anything come up our time gets robbed not just by a reasonable penalty marker but by a 2 hour long delay.

I really wish there was a refund department at this phase, seriously considering just leaving the game all together. I'm guessing this carries no weight with cryptic as they already have my money but I will NEVER suggest to anyone they purchase anything in this game so long as such an outrageous and unfair penalty exists. After all, the penalty in other online games is far lower or well balanced.

I get having a penalty, but this is just ridiculous. It isn't that hard to code the penalty to be 20 minutes from the time they leave the map for an AFK penalty.

Sincerely Your's
Disgruntled Paying Player

noblet 01-15-2014 05:46 PM

Music to my ears. Cryptic has finally done something right. Your friend won't be missed.:D

mazinger2010 01-15-2014 05:49 PM

So you believe a 2 hour penalty is fair and reasonable? Be a good chap and give your reasoning how such a large penalty should be applied for such a minor infringement?

tekehd 01-15-2014 05:51 PM

Got an AFK penalty for being gone "for a moment"? Bull****.... complete an utter bull****. IT takes more than being "gone for a moment" to trigger an AFK penalty.

luihime 01-15-2014 05:53 PM

Oh so noblet was one of the people who agreed that 2 hour penalties should be ok... Good to know! You used to go AFK like that in the past in other games, right?

There's another prestigious MMO that only gives a 30 minute AFK/team drop penalty on a PVP or PVE instance. It's paid though, but I see here that there's paid lifetime subs so in my opinion it should be fixed, right?

btw... I AM that friend. Bucker off if you do not have something constructive to say instead of being a troll, love.

mazinger2010 01-15-2014 05:54 PM

Again, I'm not against having a penalty, but seriously, 2hrs is a LARGE chunk out of the day.

gofasternow 01-15-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tekehd (Post 14508761)
Got an AFK penalty for being gone "for a moment"? Bull****.... complete an utter bull****. IT takes more than being "gone for a moment" to trigger an AFK penalty.

Exactly. The AFK penalty is working as intended. It's a shame your friend got hit with one, but I don't think Cryptic is gonna lower punishment time for that. Especially since players have been griping because of said AFKers. We got a hour punishment for Leavers who run away from "bad' STFs and we got a two hour punishment who try to AFK.

If your friend had something big to do that required needing to be AFK, then perhaps you should have waited.

aloishammer 01-15-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger2010 (Post 14508711)
So you believe a 2 hour penalty is fair and reasonable? Be a good chap and give your reasoning how such a large penalty should be applied for such a minor infringement?

How about first you level with us and tell us precisely how long the "moment" your friend went AFK for was?

Then do bear in mind that this (fair and generous, in my opinion) penalty is for wasting the time of every single person in a multi-player mission whose time is wasted and fun interfered with when one player decides it's all about them.

Nope, don't believe your friend left for anything most rational people would call a "moment," and I think they got precisely the harsh heads-up they deserved.

(And making the fuss about being LTS and signing about how you're a high and mighty "paying player," I guarantee, did you no favors in this discussion- but it did let the rest of us know what we're dealing with.)

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger2010 (Post 14508801)
Again, I'm not against having a penalty, but seriously, 2hrs is a LARGE chunk out of the day.

That's the entire point. It's intended to be noticed, not to just be a minor inconvenience. Your angst is merely proof that it's doing precisely what it's supposed to do.

mirrorchaos 01-15-2014 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mazinger2010 (Post 14508561)
Just ran Mirror universe with 2 friends of mine. We que up for this any chance we get as I'm running a fairly geared character this gives us a chance to run something quick, easy, and fun with a lot of explosions. One of those friends went AFK for a moment, came back, and was hit with a 2 hour AFK penalty. This is completely ridiculous. I could understand a 20 minute penalty but this was just silly.

I purchased my lifetime membership a few months ago because I intended to invest time in this game PLAYING WITH MY FRIENDS. This however limits that capability as if they have anything come up our time gets robbed not just by a reasonable penalty marker but by a 2 hour long delay.

I really wish there was a refund department at this phase, seriously considering just leaving the game all together. I'm guessing this carries no weight with cryptic as they already have my money but I will NEVER suggest to anyone they purchase anything in this game so long as such an outrageous and unfair penalty exists. After all, the penalty in other online games is far lower or well balanced.

I get having a penalty, but this is just ridiculous. It isn't that hard to code the penalty to be 20 minutes from the time they leave the map for an AFK penalty.

Sincerely Your's
Disgruntled Paying Player

and? whats your point?

if you dont like it go away, otherwise accept the fact that the community wanted an afk feature and got it, you and your friend should of planned your run more carefully. if i went afk for a moment and got a 2 hour penalty i wouldnt care, there are other games to play outside sto for 2 hours and it would of been my own silly fault for allowing it in the first place. its fair that an afker wont be taking up valuable spots on an stf let alone leeching off other players hard worked for rewards.

dahminus 01-15-2014 05:57 PM

The moral of the story, don't go afk in a match...