Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   Capt Cruiser Eng BO only allowed Lt Cmdr ability? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=98700)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 12:05 PM

Capt Cruiser Eng BO only allowed Lt Cmdr ability?

My first time to Captain, so I'm not sure if I'm just wrong or it's a bug.

I've 2 eng stations. One of my Eng officers is a Cmdr, the other a Lt.

In the assignment's screen, the Lt console has 2 buttons, the Cmdr one has 4, but only 3 are filled out, the other is empty.

In space, the Cmdr only has 3 buttons available. The 4th, Aceton II, doesn't show up at all to be used.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong. Help?

Archived Post 02-02-2010 12:23 PM

You're not high enough level to use those yet. Only tier 4-5 ships can use the last rank ability. They are ditherd because the ship assignments does not allow their use. Better ships will depending which type you choose. For eng officers, cruisers.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 01:25 PM

I think your problem at Captain is that the power your engineer has is Aceton Field. That's a bugged power that either reads as a ground power in space or a space power on the ground. Can't be used and it can't be trained away.

I suggest training up your second engineer and putting him in Commander Seat until that power is sorted out patches.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustTray (Post 1878582)
You're not high enough level to use those yet. Only tier 4-5 ships can use the last rank ability. They are ditherd because the ship assignments does not allow their use. Better ships will depending which type you choose. For eng officers, cruisers.

I'm in a tier 4 ship. I'm a Captain, as I said. My ship is tier 4 and has a Commander Engineering console, with 4 slots...except when I'm in space.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrperfect (Post 1880085)
I think your problem at Captain is that the power your engineer has is Aceton Field. That's a bugged power that either reads as a ground power in space or a space power on the ground. Can't be used and it can't be trained away.

I suggest training up your second engineer and putting him in Commander Seat until that power is sorted out patches.

That's what I thought. I didn't think it was a problem with the power but with the ship or with me, but after reading Aceton threads I think that's what's going on.

Thanks for the help, thanks for reading my post and actually answering my question vs just glancing and dismissing :)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by macallen (Post 1880526)
That's what I thought. I didn't think it was a problem with the power but with the ship or with me, but after reading Aceton threads I think that's what's going on.

Yup. The power is incorrectly flagged as a ground power. That's why so many engineering candidates only show 3 space powers...the 4th is Aceton Field and listed under the ground ones.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axterix
Yup. The power is incorrectly flagged as a ground power. That's why so many engineering candidates only show 3 space powers...the 4th is Aceton Field and listed under the ground ones.

I chose this BO because it had Aceton II as Cmdr, and I wanted to see it. I'll wait for the bug fix, it's just nice to know what's going in :)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 06:58 PM

Yeah, I've wanted to play with that skill for a while too. Though I'm thinking the 90 degree firing angle is going to make it not worth keeping, not with cruiser turn rates.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Axterix
Yeah, I've wanted to play with that skill for a while too. Though I'm thinking the 90 degree firing angle is going to make it not worth keeping, not with cruiser turn rates.

I'm looking at it for an opener, before I'm committed to being facing away from everyone for the rest of the fight.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 07:29 PM

I'm more looking for something to tank tough mobs, bosses. So longer drawn out fights. The debuff seems appealing, with the reflecting damage nice as well. But 90 degree firing arc and cruiser turn rates, not a good combo.