Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Federation Shipyards (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   recommended ship for a sicentific tank. (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=992361)

chaseling94 01-24-2014 07:03 AM

recommended ship for a sicentific tank.

hi all, as it says in the title, im looking for a ship that makes a decent or brilliant science tank. the science part meaning "Crowd Control" the ability to make the enemy numb before destroying him/her/it..

the tank bit is really self explanatory. I would like it fairly mobile but able to take a beating and survive fairly intact..

recommended builds and links would also be appreciated through Skillplanner with a description on how to plan it as well.

any help would be appreciated.

cya in the field :)

caasicam 01-24-2014 07:31 AM

I'd recommend the Nebula class (Advanced Research Vessel) as a ship that's fairly in between a traditional Science magic ship and a tanky cruiser. The fleet version especially so, with having a comparable hull strength, number of engineering consoles, and engineering abilities to a cruiser, while at the same time benefitting from the higher shield modifier and numerous science abilities of a science ship.

The fact that they both have a Universal BOFF slot allows them to have access to a number of additional Tactical abilities for more firepower. Do note though, the Nebula only has the 3/3 weapon layout that all other science ships have.

I'll try and get a build up sometime soon.

chaseling94 01-24-2014 07:33 AM

I have heard good things about the nebby. however it never has suited me that well.. ive never saw the merit for it. I still don't understand what role it plays... :/

caasicam 01-24-2014 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseling94 (Post 14650871)
I have heard good things about the nebby. however it never has suited me that well.. ive never saw the merit for it. I still don't understand what role it plays... :/

Think of it as a Science ship with the survivability of a Cruiser.

As for it's role, it really depends on whether you plan to use it for PVE or PVP. In PVP it can make one heck of a anti-cloak ship with it's special console and a bunch of high-damage torpedoes with TS.

In PVP, I can normally tough out the Borg HY Plasma without problem, and generally am able to fill the tanking role normally used by a Cruiser, while still having access to great crowd control powers such as GW3, TS2, TR3, PS3, etc.

As with most science ships, (even moreso because the Nebula has that Uni BOFF slot), it can fill a number of roles depending on how you build it. It can be a killer healboat with the number of Engi and Sci BOFF slots, a great debuffer, or an AoE crowd tanker, to name a few.

chaseling94 01-24-2014 07:46 AM

When it comes to the shortening of the boff ability names. you might as well say them in French lol I only knew torpedo spread XD..

right now I fly a ody sci cruiser. but it is primarily used to tank.

I just want a ship that can match my aggression and my tanking requirements while having that scientific bite in the ass (would of censored it but cba)

caasicam 01-24-2014 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaseling94 (Post 14651041)
When it comes to the shortening of the boff ability names. you might as well say them in French lol I only knew torpedo spread XD..

right now I fly a ody sci cruiser. but it is primarily used to tank.

I just want a ship that can match my aggression and my tanking requirements while having that scientific bite in the ass (would of censored it but cba)

GW: Gravity Well

TR: Tychen's Rift

PS: Photonic Shockwave

;)

To compare the Nebula to the Oddy, think of it as the tanky Science ship versus the Oddy's Sciency Cruiser. Different sides of the same coin.

I'd personally try an Antiproton cannon build along with Cannon Rapidfire/Scatter Volley mixed with the 360 Antiproton beam for damage. The added 10% Antiproton damage from the Obelisk set does help it's only two Tac consoles.

Here's an example build (don't pay attention to the mark number and such, it's just a rough outline.) http://skillplanner.stoacademy.com/?...ebulaexample_0

chaseling94 01-24-2014 08:03 AM

the nearest rep torp im getting is the omega XD I have a few sets as well.

2pc maco
assimilated set
breen set
jemmy set
qrohwetiuerhg

ive tried going for so many other ships. even a vesta and an atrox. and after a few goes. I revert back to the ody.. its like nothing else works.

cmdrscarlet 01-24-2014 08:04 AM

+1 for Nebula.

I've used it and it works VERY well as a "tank" that can cough out Science/magic.

I recommend searching this forum for Nebula discussions. Almost all of them are informative for the class.

lucho80 01-24-2014 08:31 AM

The Voth Palisade is a good sci tank.

kintisho 01-24-2014 09:39 AM

Vesta (full set) is nice crowd control and can become virtually indestructible for 30 seconds at a time. The other pinnacle sci ship in the game is the Wells (full set though which means both ships and 3 part set) Wells not so much on tank per say but man have I made people cry with her.