Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   Red Matter Capacitor needs balancing ASAP (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=99402)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:26 PM

Red Matter Capacitor needs balancing ASAP

A guild member showed me his today and my eyes popped out at how overpowered the thing is.

Passive buff: +25 to all ships power levels
Active buff: +25 to all shows power levels for x seconds (with a crazy cooldown like 15 minutes)

This clearly shines as the best pratical preorder bonus item by far. While I'm only slightly jealous, I'm more concerned at how much of an edge this thing will give you in pvp. If they happen to be a borg captain, and have a borg bridge officer that's another +10 to power levels at all times.

So a player could be pvping with....

135 weapons
85 shields
55 engines
55 aux

At all times... passively requiring no cool downs and not adding additional buffs from trained skills. My constructive suggestion to balance the RMC would be to lower the passive bonus to +10, lower the active bonus cooldown to 1 minute and 30 seconds so you can use it more often.

What say you?

-edit- Since people continue to think I want the red matter capacitor balanced around how it's currently working and not the bugged stats that show up when you look at it in chat, those of you are incorrect. I was deceived along with many others. "As is" with just a single +25 buff on its long cooldown and taking up a device slot, I'm inclined to say it's a bit underpowered for a blue item and could use either the cooldown slightly reduced or the duration it buffs your ship bumped up. For those of you who got the point and helped expose the fact linking items in chat is bugged at the moment, thank you for posting constructively. Shame on Cryptic for letting the game get released in such an unfinished state.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:28 PM

I think they should let it ride for the time being. It has not been adequately tested at it's current settings for anyone to gauge the potential of it.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:28 PM

The long cooldown makes it slightly impractical I think... but I would support the idea that it should probably be disallowed use in PvP or some other thing like that. I almost bought the CE for this item because it sounded like the only other thing that would actually remain useful throughough my player's career (the other being the borg BO).

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:29 PM

How dare you try to take away what I rightfully paid for!

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Omega-Prime
I think they should let it ride for the time being. It has not been adequately tested at it's current settings for anyone to gauge the potential of it.

That's a valid point. I'm just trying to nip pvp rage in the bud now because if I had one of those things I guarantee I would alpha strike people down into confetti leaving them going "WTF 1 Shotted?"

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:35 PM

These +25 aren't passive.

It's only active and on 10min. CD. I know because I claimed mine and trew it away. Piece of Crap.

Get your facts straight before ranting.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:36 PM

That's pretty rediculous. Anyone who has played this game realizes that the power level means everything.

A pre order item giving a +25 passive? My ships power levels would be 125(135)-85-60-60 (125 is max) and I'm NOT a borg and don't have a borg BO...

What preorder was this in? They need to put that thing on the C-Store, because I would Definitely buy it!

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Slough-3yeZ
These +25 aren't passive.

It's only active and on 10min. CD. I know because I claimed mine and trew it away. Piece of Crap.

Get your facts straight before ranting.

First of all it's not a rant, so crawl back under your rock mr. internet tough guy. Second of all I saw the stats myself linked in chat. It said +25 and +25 with a cooldown. If those two things happen to be the same buff, then it's worded extremely poorly.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lx31
First of all it's not a rant, so crawl back under your rock mr. internet tough guy. Second of all I saw the stats myself linked in chat. It said +25 and +25 with a cooldown. If those two things happen to be the same buff, then it's worded extremely poorly.

Linking is known to be bugged btw. Sometimes when I link my weapons, it says that they also have shields or engine stats...

Could have been a link bug.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrBlinker
Linking is known to be bugged btw. Sometimes when I link my weapons, it says that they also have shields or engine stats...

Could have been a link bug.

Wouldn't surprise me. There are more bugs in this game than the amazon rain forest. If we can get a few more people who have tested the item to confirm or deny, it might help. Especially if it happened to be a dev. >.>