Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Star Trek Online General Discussion (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=128)
-   -   I like the game but why isn't space really 3D? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=99716)

Archived Post 02-02-2010 09:21 PM

I like the game but why isn't space really 3D?

After playing for awhile it becomes apparent at least to me that somehow my cool ships are gimped. It really doesn't feel emersive to me when I discovered I can not perform loops are even circle a target flying upward or downward. It appears at least to me there is a cap on my ability to move in those directions. Am I the only person to notice this or am I impaired in some way?

I suppose it's not that big a deal. When I enter combat on the ground my character becomes autistic and can not turn left or right.

I admit I have some visual disabilties so I miss some content, but this doesn't feel like one of those times. I was really hoping Cryptic would do space at least as well as SOE did in SWG and so far it seems far from as imersive and way way less entense or smooth.

Are there plans to allow ships to behave like ships in space and not like a Champions Character with Super Flight? For that matter why cann't a super hero do loops and barrel rolls? OK back on topic. I think starships in the void of space should be able to do loops and barrels and it is disappointing to see they can not. These are prime elements of combat in planes, ships in almost every other game and they need to be added here to. Imersion is very very important as games progress.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 09:29 PM

ok guy you are really an idiot ... have you ever seen a star trek movie with the size of ships they have actuqally doing barrel rolls or pitch and yaw manuvers ??? didnt think so be realistic

Archived Post 02-02-2010 09:31 PM

this has been brought up for months.... most every reviewer and palyer agrees... had they not whiped the forum you would have seen an enourmous thread that had stayed perpetually on the front page

Archived Post 02-02-2010 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by acizoo (Post 1887588)
ok guy you are really an idiot ... have you ever seen a star trek movie with the size of ships they have actuqally doing barrel rolls or pitch and yaw manuvers ??? didnt think so be realistic

ummmm.... you obvioulsy know nothing about space. size has nothing to do with it

Archived Post 02-02-2010 09:34 PM

Quote:

lol @ telling the someone to be realistic when he's playing a sci-fi game.
But I totally agree with the op here, if they just pasted in the combat system from ST: Bridge Commander, I'd be in nerd heaven.

Archived Post 02-02-2010 11:34 PM

Quote:

Perhaps you should think before you speak....

A 360 degree turn "up" or "down" should be the same as doing a 360 to the left or right.

This is sometimes very annoying when you are under or over an enemy and have to go at full impulse forward at the steepest down angle and then turn and go back to be able to come in for an attack. :mad:

I consider this "small" problem a major design flaw. I don't know how the guys at Cryptic could have missed it.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 05:37 AM

Quote:

I'm an idiot? Take a class in simple physics. What is there in space to stop a ship from flying up until it has done a complete 360 degree roll? Does it's weight play some part in it's ability to move even in space where gravity is weak? Please, obviously you're much smarter than I. Explain it to me.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 05:42 AM

Quote:

Actully if he is to be realistic then doing barrel rolls and yaw manuvers would be possable in space.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 05:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hirogen_Alpha
Perhaps you should think before you speak....

A 360 degree turn "up" or "down" should be the same as doing a 360 to the left or right.

This is sometimes very annoying when you are under or over an enemy and have to go at full impulse forward at the steepest down angle and then turn and go back to be able to come in for an attack. :mad:

I consider this "small" problem a major design flaw. I don't know how the guys at Cryptic could have missed it.

I'm guessing they applied the code for flight in Champions to Starships. Sadly it takes a huge amount away from the game. Orientation should be irrelavent in the game. We should be able to fly belly to belly or have ships roll any direction we want to. I can roll as far as I want to left and right but not up and down? It's absolutely a major design flaw. I hope they can fix it quickly but since it's still in the game maybe they cann't or it's not a big deal to them.

As for the other idiot caller, have you every played Eve Online? It's much more accurate as a space game. You can fly truly massive ships in rolls in direction. It might take 10 minutes but you can do it and you would be amazed at how much enjoyment MMO emersion can be when it flows. I use explitives every time my character is hard to manuver in combat or I have to roll and turn because I can not just roll.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 05:47 AM

Ships in Trek move in completely non-Newtonian ways, and for some reason all share the same up/down orientation. (Why is the Klingon ship on the viewscreen never upside down?) The game is just reflecting that.

(And it uses the CO engine, but that is just the practical argument.)