Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   Builds, Powers, and Game Mechanics (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=219)
-   -   BO skills training and replacing (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=99827)

Archived Post 02-03-2010 12:11 AM

BO skills training and replacing

Now I've read the forums where BO skill points are not capped and we can train a BO with a particular skill which will replace the skill that BO has at that level. I also know that if there were any point awarded to that skill that was replaced those points are lost and the new skill starts at 0 again. But lets say I train a BO to Lt. Commander and then realize I no longer like the Ensign skill he/she has for space and want to train them on a different skill. Will that replacement of skill affect the points awarded at the other ranks? For instance will the Space category now be all 0's and have to be built up again or will it just replace the Ensign skill and make only that skill 0?

Archived Post 02-03-2010 12:39 AM

Once you replace a skill on a BO, it resets that skill to 1, but the BO still counts as having had the SP spent on him in the first place. Since the ranks depend on the amount of SP spent, the ranks stick.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 12:57 AM

Hmmm... in my experience I had allocated points to one of my BO's Ensign skills then realized there were many different skills and it was not the skill I desired. So requisitioned a BO train my BO (before I knew the BO trainer was around the wall). When my BO's skill was replaced it was set back to one and not the 4 that it was.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 04:52 AM

You are misunderstanding what Draco was saying.....

When you replace a skill the new skill will always start at 1 and any other skill you did not replace will stay at it's current level. To promote a BO you must have spent a certain ammount of skill points on him e.g. Lt needs 200 spent so if you have his ensign skill at 9 which would mean you spent 400 points on him but then replace that skill with a new one it will be set to lvl 1.

However even though that is set to 1 and would indicate 0 points spent in it as you had previously spent 400 points on a skill you no longer have you would still be able to promote the BO.

Archived Post 02-03-2010 07:09 AM

Ah I see what you guys are saying. It confused me because I was not asking about the BO's ranking I was asking about the level of the skills at higher ranking.

Archived Post 02-19-2010 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Popov147 (Post 1891639)
You are misunderstanding what Draco was saying.....

When you replace a skill the new skill will always start at 1 and any other skill you did not replace will stay at it's current level. To promote a BO you must have spent a certain ammount of skill points on him e.g. Lt needs 200 spent so if you have his ensign skill at 9 which would mean you spent 400 points on him but then replace that skill with a new one it will be set to lvl 1.

However even though that is set to 1 and would indicate 0 points spent in it as you had previously spent 400 points on a skill you no longer have you would still be able to promote the BO.

This is not true. I have a Commander Engineering BoFF that I had give 9's across the skill board space and ground. I just replaced his Lt. Commander skill by using an awarded BoFF to train him with the new skill. My BoFF's Lt. Commander and Commander skill were both set back to 1

Archived Post 02-20-2010 06:19 AM

So I have a couple of spare BOs now. One of them has viral matrix as a skill which I believe is pretty good. Even though my BOs are currently too low a rank to use the skill can I still train it? Can I train more than one skill from my new BO or does it replace all of the old skills with the new BOs or do i get to pick and choose? What happens to the new uncommisioned BO? can i trade him or do I loose him? and btw htf do I trade BOs???

Lots of questions but I'd rathewr not screw this up:) I like my current BOs just not sure what skills I should be getting them. Only just about to hit LTCOMD in my cruiser so have 2 Eng offrs atm on my roster rdy for the upgrade.

Archived Post 02-20-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnarly365 (Post 2157607)
So I have a couple of spare BOs now. One of them has viral matrix as a skill which I believe is pretty good. Even though my BOs are currently too low a rank to use the skill can I still train it? Can I train more than one skill from my new BO or does it replace all of the old skills with the new BOs or do i get to pick and choose? What happens to the new uncommisioned BO? can i trade him or do I loose him? and btw htf do I trade BOs???

Lots of questions but I'd rathewr not screw this up:) I like my current BOs just not sure what skills I should be getting them. Only just about to hit LTCOMD in my cruiser so have 2 Eng offrs atm on my roster rdy for the upgrade.

You can use a new BoFF that you have not asked to join your crew to train one of you BoFF's that is on your crew. You can only have that new BoFF train one of your BoFF with only one of its skills. Once that new BoFF has trained your BoFF you will loose that new BoFF. You can have the new BoFF train any level skill to your current BoFF even if your current BoFF is not of that rank yet.

I am not sure what rank you are at but I think at Lieutenant you can only have 4 BoFF's on crew then at Lieutenant Commander you get to have 6, Commander 8, and at Rear Admiral you get to have 10. So you can either hang on to that new BoFF until you have more crew slots or let that new BoFF train one of your existing BoFF's.

As far as BoFF's are concerned you will receive way more BoFF's rewards than you will ever need or can use on your crew. The only thing is they might not all have skills you want to use.