Star Trek Online

Star Trek Online (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/index.php)
-   The Foundry for Star Trek Online - Discussion & Feedback (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/forumdisplay.php?f=204)
-   -   What is the best map you've ever made? (http://sto-forum.perfectworld.com/showthread.php?t=999741)

drogyn1701 01-30-2014 10:50 AM

What is the best map you've ever made?

Let's leave the doom and gloom behind and talk about something positive. We're a bunch of highly creative people and let's share some of that creativity.

What is the best map you've ever created in the Foundry?

What do you like about it? Can you share some of your process in making it? What challenges did you face while making it? Did you use any objects in unusual ways? If you were to make it again, would you do anything different?

And don't hesitate to post some screenshots!

Also if you would like and are willing, we could also share maps for other authors to use. On the Purity series I recreated maps initially made by Cerberusfilms and Kirkfat, and on my latest mission "Cold Winds" I used a technique to create a cool Jeffries tube that Greendragoon came up with.

markhawkman 01-30-2014 12:48 PM

I'd go with Beta Rana Station. Yes, the OUTSIDE. Lining up all of those pieces took a lot of time and effort. That and the background was.... interesting to make.

thay8472 01-30-2014 01:15 PM

Hmmm.... good question...

Either the caves in "Depths of Nukara Prime" or the Ruins in Prime Race Pt1

onlyslightlybent 01-30-2014 01:42 PM

I created a Risa resort for one of my missions. I always thought Risa was bare, so I filled it with vacationers, a "grotto" with swimming girls :), Horghon stand, shady criminals, a resort hotel, a gaudy ferengi bar and a floating klingon restaurant (barge of the dead ship).

I had a lot of fun thinking up the characters and filling up Risa and finding creative ways to make a mission. One of the mission was to find a way to disrupt the Ferengi bar. The ferengi bar owner was setting up a display of glasses into a pyramid and you could run through it to complete the mission.

I spent a long while getting it right then the foundry bugged out and started making duplicate maps, misplacing objects and I hit the cap for placing objects and characters. I just said **** it and pushed it out to get it done after realising the limitations.

Later on when the Summer event arrived I found it interesting that it and my Risa looked similar ... that is, only the placement of the resort on the map and the Risan corvette and my Klingon restaurant.

I'll post pics when the servers back online.

captainhunter1 01-30-2014 02:07 PM

I have to say I'm pretty proud of the map for the capital city in my two part mission, "Treasure of Argelius II".

It took a lot of time to fit all the pieces in, maxing out the objects both building and NPC/mob-wise on a single map. (and still didn't fill in all the gaps or have all the people I wanted - lol).

Is it perfect? No. But it's as close as I could come to an actual city that looked something like the 'persian' flavor portrayed in the TOS episode "A Wolf in the Fold".

And I don't think it turned out badly at all considering the 'cookie-cutter' building footprints I had to use over a map that is half water (because there is no true 'blank' map in the Foundry). :P

thegreendragoon1 01-30-2014 02:15 PM

I think I'm most proud of a map I've been working on for In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 2. I can't say to much about it, other than it's huge, entirely custom and the centerpiece for the mission. I've also been working on it longer than any other map in the mission.

My second favorite would be the starship crash site from Part 1.

ashkrik23 01-30-2014 02:22 PM

Very tough choice for me.

My favorite map has to be the Cait ground map in Perfection, part 2.

markhawkman 01-30-2014 02:22 PM

OOOHHH pretty glowy tubes! I love those. :D

ashkrik23 01-30-2014 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thegreendragoon1 (Post 14815721)
I think I'm most proud of a map I've been working on for In the Shadow of MIDAS, Part 2. I can't say to much about it, other than it's huge, entirely custom and the centerpiece for the mission. I've also been working on it longer than any other map in the mission.

Are you sure you aren't a Cryptic dev map maker?

thegreendragoon1 01-30-2014 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashkrik23 (Post 14816861)
Are you sure you aren't a Cryptic dev map maker?

I wish. :o