View Single Post
Captain
# 6
05-20-2013, 07:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by koppster View Post
I am sad to see what has become of the game in my absence of just over a year or so.

Not only have some in-game rewards been removed from STF's they were originally obtained from (borg set for instance), but they've now been stuck behind a horribly implemented reputation grind that is nothing other than a blatant time and ec sink.

Having even first tier rewards gated behind time-based "quests" is ridiculous. You can't even grind the rep in the traditional MMO manner, as the return from, for instance, turning in Omega marks in the non-time limited manner is abysmal.

Why turn STO into a grind? It's counter-productive to modern MMO development philosophy. Any MMO player survey will tell you: no-one likes grinding in an MMO. Grinding loses subs.
CaptainRevo and istvaanshogaatsu are right. PWE/Cryptic can't be putting out new things everyday. That's why there is grinding, so that players have to do some (insert (possibly new) content) a couple times to get what they want. Plus the chance of getting Prototype tech was tiring because some players would do the same missions hundreds of times HOPING that they'll MAYBE get something of interest. Not all grinding is fun, but sometimes, I find Mine Trap fun (once or twice in a row, lol), or STFs fun, or etc.

If there wasn't grind, people who get bored and leave the game because PWE can't be putting out new stuff everyday. So, that is why grind exists. I hate having to do some grind (Colony Invasion, Mine Trap) , other grind I like (New Romulus, Azure Nebula, STFs). They try to make grind fun, but sometimes, the grind is not fun at all. But it's better than losing players because you didn't release X feature or Y feature in time.