View Single Post
Starfleet Veteran
# 22
05-20-2013, 10:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by deadspacex64 View Post
very nice, and while this goes against the kudos from everyone else, i feel the following is necessary.

a few points, don't make non-uniform bump/normals maps/tesselation maps/displacement on the floor that isn't carpeting for any tech style flooring. while it looks spiffy, no ship or any technologically advanced race would have such an uneven surface. same for the walls that appear metal...this also saves in the texture dept. (if displacement shader, was unnecessary)

both should be smooth as glass, or if you want a tex for the floor use something that would give people traction, uniform in appearance. something you might actually find here on earth :p such as raised diamonds, small scalloped circles, etc.

no one (real world) wants bumpy metal for anything, it's weak, the rough surface creates potential fracture points, last thing you'd want in an engine room with such explosive power >.<

do love the lighting of and off the warp core however, first rate that
It's fine I appreciate your feedback. Yeah I agree about the floor. The original plan was to with a vinyl type surface that was seen in TNG but it came out looking incredibly. After looking through elements of the environments in STO I quite liked the look of the brushed metal look.

One of first things that took some getting used to from my perspective is that I can unrwrap a model fine with proper UV's but in the case of creating a large modular environment was to use seamless repeating textures, which was a first for me.

In the beginning the surface was completely flat and it was decided to add a base bump map to it as well as the cube map reflection just hint at some detail.

But yes I think I should probably have tried the diamond metal plating to see how it would look.