View Single Post
Captain
# 14
05-23-2013, 10:34 PM
Captain Strannik stood and went over to introduce himself to the new being as well. It seemed he wasn't going to get an answer to his question about the music--at least not yet--but this new individual seemed quite interesting.

Being non-humanoid wasn't so much of a put-off to Alexei Ivanovich as it could be for some humanoids. By the strict definition, he himself didn't qualify as humanoid; his Devidian form's resemblance to the humanoid form was a matter of convergent evolution rather than infusion with the Preserver genome. And there was also the fact that, in his natural form--assuming any but a few could get past the terrifying knowledge of what his species was capable of--he had virtually none of the standard facial features, and no ability to replicate the standard facial expressions that made up so much of the humanoid emotional display repertoire. He could gesture, yes, but for many humanoids that wasn't enough.

It was...well...creepy, and Alyosha unfortunately knew it.

For him, though, there were other options open, to help him make a connection to the stranger--after all, when one's own species relied on other means, as far as he cound determine, then he could apply those abilities here.

His telepathic abilities weren't all that strong, and barely functioned at a minimal level without deliberate concentration. Still, he hoped it might be enough to get an idea of the being's frame of mind and intentions. And perhaps even answer the gender question. With humanoid minds--and Devidian minds, too, there was often a certain "feel" that gave him a clue as to gender.* There were outliers, of course, making it less than 100% reliable, but it often helped where visual cues might not.

He also focused his neural energy detection sense upon the alien, but found the resemblance to humanoid neural energy only passing. With no baseline for the being's metabolism and neurological patterns, the results were inconclusive.

So too was his telepathy, except for a vague sense of tension, which could be anything from illness to discomfort to simple nervousness. And no indications of the being's gender, or if it corresponded to the two humanoid and Devidian genders.

Still, he approached the being. He didn't want the poor individual to feel isolated because of species differences.

He nodded respectfully and gave the appearance, in his human form, of a small, nonthreatening smile. Then he said, "I'm Captain Alexei Ivanovich Strannik. You can call me Alexei Ivanovich, or if Strannik is easier, feel free to use that instead. How would you like to be called?

"Also..." He took a risk here, but hoped it would come across as polite interest and not as an inappropriate question. It might or might not yield an answer on the gender question, but it might at least give them some appropriate terminology. Maybe he'd get a pronoun, but a name or title would do as well. "What is the appropriate third-person terminology to use when I refer to you in conversation with others?"

[OOC]I have taken some creative license in my stories and given Devidians the same two genders that other humanoids have despite the inconclusive evidence of sexual dimorphism. While others are free to write them otherwise in their stories, for the purposes of Alyosha Strannik, while he has no attraction to humanoids since his species is so different, other than his nonresponse to humanoid sexual advances, please treat him as male in the traditional understanding of the term. [/OOC]
Christian Gaming Community Fleets--Faith, Fun, and Fellowship! See the website and PM me for more. :-)

Sig by gulberat. Avatar credit to balsavor.deviantart.com

Last edited by gulberat; 05-23-2013 at 10:56 PM.