View Single Post
Captain
# 12
06-01-2013, 04:09 AM
With regard the lack of comments, I would simply say to consider your audience. For the past six weeks, there has been an ongoing LC to allow people to flesh out their Romulan characters, but in terms of entries, I've seen more output on some of the fortnightly challenges. I don't want to project my own opinions onto others, but I think that may be something to do with it. Personally speaking, first and foremost, I am Starfleet. The occasional mission to Klingon or Romulan territory is all well and good, but it's not where my interest lies, and the further a locale or story drifts from that, the more my interest wanes. I enjoyed your other stories, particularly Pear Shaped, but Brittle World just didn't really have anything that interested me. That's not meant as a criticism of your writing, it just wasn't to my taste (in the same way, I can appreciate Tolkien's work, but I would rather slam my nuts in a car door than even consider reading LoTR or the Hobbit, because that is not a genre I enjoy) I'm not overly interested in Romulans, and have even less time for Orions.I did like the image of the guy spitting on the blade before sharpening it Another question I would ask, is if you write to a (however loosely) planned plot, or if you just 'free write' as the inspiration takes you? Both methods are equally valid, and I know how hard it can be to try and write when the inspiration is no there. But the feeling I got with Family Matter and Brittle World, was that they were free written with no planned objective. Again, nothing wrong with free writing, but I feel longer pieces like this benefit from a clearer objective/tighter plot... Again, that's not meant as a criticism of your writing, just my impression as a reader. But what do I know? I write about a guy who f**ks his sister and acts like a Vulcan because he misses his mum...

Keep writing

Last edited by marcusdkane; 06-01-2013 at 04:12 AM.