View Single Post
Career Officer
# 27
06-14-2013, 10:48 PM
For all those claiming this is somehow a "Captain" level mission, that's just demonstrably false. I ran it just now, and actually looked at my target info at the top of the screen. The level difference on the ships I checked was 0-2. Since I was level 50, that means they were 48-50. This is an endgame, admiral level mission. It's Normal difficulty, not Elite, but it is certainly Level 50.

Now, I happened to also run ACT while I did this. This turns out to be fortuitous because I got a mixed level group. It was me, two other VAs, a RA Lower, and a Lt. Cdr. I was also on my Romulan, who has mediocre gear as of yet. We finished with just under a minute left on the siege group. Here are our damage numbers:

1. VA 1 - 2,548,623
2. VA 2 - 2,183,535
3. My Romulan - 1,984,362
4. RA-L - 409,337
5. Lt. Cdr - 234,805

And our best hits:

1. VA 1 - 44,008 (Plasma Energy Bolt)
2. My Romulan - 31,652 (Tric Mine)
3. VA 2 - 30,362 (Hargh'Peng)
4. Lt. Cdr - 4,017 (Plasma Torp)
5. RA-L - 3,064 (Photon Torp)

Everybody was active the whole time, nobody was AFK. I was impressed with the Lt. Cdr, he only died once. The RA also died once. None of the VAs died. Look at the dropoff in damage just from the VAs to the RA. He did 1/5 the damage that I did. Now, my damage numbers in PvE tend to be high compared to a typical PUG, even on my Romulan. Let's make an assumption that our RA here was doing 1/3 the damage of a typical PUG VA (and that's being generous). The Lt. Cdr did half of what the RA did.

Obviously, the RA could very well have done better. The only thing an RA lacks that a VA has is another Captain power, access to Mk. XI-XII weapons and gear, and VA C-Store consoles. Given the low overall damage and extremely low best hit, I'm going to assume he's a brand new player and doesn't know how to get the most out of his ship yet. An decent player at RA level could've managed, let's say, around 1-1.5 mil. A captain even less.

Considering the time limits, having anybody coming in at Captain or below constitutes a severe DPS penalty. Since this mission is TIMED, DPS reigns king here even more than other PvE content (and that's saying something in this game). In fact, we probably would've lost the Siege round had all three VAs not been established players doing a lot of damage. The notion that a single VA can solo this given the time limit is ludicrous. We could've probably removed the RA and Lt. Cdr and just done this with us 3 VAs, but it would've been tight.

So, the way the situation is now is not fair. It's not fair to people coming into a VA match with team mates who are incapable of contributing significantly to the mission. It's also not fair to those lower level players who will spend the entire time feeling useless and exploding. All it needs is a level gate on the public queue. This is the same mechanism that exists and works on Fleet Actions and PvP. There's no reason it shouldn't be in place here.

If you want to run mixed level with your fleet mates and friends, you very well can. Private matches have always been able to do this. By all means, have fun challenging yourselves in whatever way you wish.

We have a lot of new players coming in. They don't know how to set their ships up well, they aren't good pilots yet, and they don't understand why they have angry VAs screaming at them in team chat. I'd like to see them stick around and become good players. We just need to break up the public queue so it's fair and fun for everybody, and nobody needs to have a bad time.