Noob Guide to Tribble
View Single Post
Join Date: Jun 2012
06-19-2013, 10:35 PM
Mirror Universes: How to Start Your Testing Journey
You're just itching to try out Tribble and to see what's coming to Holodeck in the near future, but how do you become a tester? There are 2 ways you can do this.
Create a New Character in Tribble
1. When you launch the STO launcher/patcher, you'll notice a second option next to the "Live (Holodeck)" Shard option called "Public Test (Tribble)." Click on this and it will begin patching Tribble. Note: Tribble is essentially another version of the game on your computer. It will be a large, multiple GB patch (make sure you have the space, or you will not get to the final frontier of Tribble!).
2. You should then be taken into the character creation page.
3. If you do not see the Tribble option on the patcher, follow the second method and try again.
Transfer a Character to Tribble
1. Go to the STO homepage,
2. Click the "Guides" tab.
3. Select the "Tribble Test Server" guide.
4. Log in at the prompt screen (it'll direct you into a log-in page).
5. Scroll down and select the character you want to transfer.
6. For the option of which server to transfer it to, select "Tribble."
7. Note: this will create a copy of your character on the Tribble server; it will not affect in any way your character on the Holodeck shard.
We're Givin' Her All She's Got, Captain: How to Test Successfully
The first part to testing successfully is to do simply that - TEST! Play anything and everything you fancy in the world of STO. Go catch up with Commander Roxy in her retirement, play a few PvE missions (if you can find anyone in the queues), or go challenge your buddy to a PvP match. The most important thing to test, though, will be the new content, which you can check by looking at the Tribble patch notes in the Tribble Announcements sub-forum (at the bottom of the forum home page). As you play, look for bugs. These could be anything from typos to "OMG! My face disappeared when I put on my EV suit." When you find a bug, you should do 2 things:
1. Submit a bug report by using the "Submit a Bug Report" option under the "?" icon on your mini-map
2. Submit the bug to the "Tribble Bug Report" sub-forum.
Of course you can offer more feedback than just bug reports. If you like or dislike something, let the devs know by posting in the "Tribble Feedback" sub-forum.
One other thing to note, is that you can test new rep items (currently Nukara rep) by going to DS9 to the old STF store (near the entrance to the shipyard area) where one of the NPC's labeled "Reputation Vendor" will sell you the gear and powers (in the form of consoles) from the new rep system for free. You can also test two new Romulan ships at a new test console on Drozana station across from the bank and exchange consoles (in the room with the dabo tables).
Gotta Catch 'Em All: Tribble Test Weekends
Before a new season is released on Holodeck, it goes to Tribble with more and more of the season hitting Tribble in the weeks leading up to the Holodeck release. Generally, 1-2 weeks before it goes to Holodeck, there is a Tribble Test Weekend. During this weekend (Friday-Monday), players can log on and test the new stuff for a reward if they meet certain requirements. These requirements will be laid out in a dev blog announcing the test weekend (normally it's to play for an hour on Tribble). The reward is generally a special Tribble that is an account unlock for Holodeck characters. Past examples include Tribble of Borg (now in the Z-Store), Crossfire Tribble, Mol Ri'han Tribble (gives 1 Romulan mark an hour), and Fleet Tribble (gives 1 fleet mark an hour). Doffs, titles, and pets have also been awarded in the past. Just a little extra something for helping to test new stuff.
What Happens In Tribble, Stays In Tribble
You've done all this great testing, picked up some cool new items, and are super pumped to see it all go on Holodeck. At this point, one of the most frequently asked questions I see on the forums and on Tribble is: "Can I transfer this character back to Holodeck with all his cool stuff?" Unfortunately, the answer to this is NO. You get access to a lot of cool stuff in Tribble, but it wouldn't be fair to let you take all that stuff back to Holodeck (sorry, but the Rep system wouldn't work if you could just pull all the rep items over from Tribble). Character transfers to Tribble are a one way deal.
"That hurts worse than the uniform." - Dr. McCoy on the Vulcan salute
"On Vulcan, the teddy bears are alive. And they have six-inch fangs." - Spock on sehlats
Last edited by sarek93; 03-06-2014 at
. Reason: Updated to include the new way to access the character transfer page.