View Single Post
Captain
# 94
07-16-2013, 10:30 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by adjudicatorhawk View Post
Kind of. Resistance resists changes to resistance. So if, for instance, I have 40% Phaser Resistance but 0% to everything else:

-I get hit with a -10% Resist All debuff from a hypothetical debuff power
-My Phaser resistance resists 40% of that debuff, so my Phaser Resist goes down by 6%, down to 34%.
-All my other resistances are 0%, so the -10% debuff has its full effect

Starting Resists:
Phaser: 40%
All Other: 0%

Ending Resists:
Phaser: 34%
All Other: -10%

But wait, you say! The difference between 34% Resistance and 40% Resistance means that on a 100 damage hit, I used to take 60 damage, and now I'm taking 66 damage! I'm taking 10% more damage!

That's correct - you will take 10% more damage across the board when you get hit with a -10% resistance debuff. The tricky part is just that your resistance *ratings* don't all change at the same rate - they vary based on how high they were to begin with. As a general rule, Resistance buffs and debuffs should never be affected by damage multipliers, and they should always be affected by other resistance values. Any scenario in which this is not the case creates strange damage multiplication corollaries around either very high or very low resistance/damage buff edge cases.
I was under the impression that all buffs and debuffs to damage resistance were actually buffs and debuffs to damage resistance rating. I thought these buffs and debuffs were summed to get a final damage resistance rating, which was then input to a formula (see the link below) to get the damage resistance percentage.

http://sto.gamepedia.com/Damage_resistance

Are you saying that damage resistance buffs and debuffs now add or subtract damage resistance percentages directly, but scaled based on the current damage resistance percentage? Was this always the case, or is this a new change? Or does the scenario you outlined above apply only to the disruptor proc?

Maybe, you should just give us the mathematical formulas. Some people understand numerical examples better, but I prefer the general rule.

Last edited by frtoaster; 07-16-2013 at 11:34 PM.