View Single Post
Community Moderator
# 3
08-01-2013, 06:45 AM
Allow me to be as clear as I possibly can, speaking as a forum moderator.

Cryptic does not support or endorse any third-party software or utilities for use with the game. That has been their official stance since forever.

Just as they are not going to officially tell you that using Notepad is an acceptable means for recording chat logs, they are also not going to recommend the use of a Windows macro utility in place of the built in keybinds.

So there are two different ways of looking at this:

1. Assuming PWE considers use of the utility as an exploit, discussing it on the forums is against the rules.

2. Assuming using the utility is not an exploit because this is a general purpose Windows utility, this forum is not for the discussion of software that PWE/Cryptic did not create. It is therefore off-topic and discussing it here on these forums is considered a form of spamming.

Either way, the people who are trying to force this discussion (about third-party utilities) on the forums really need to stop. The official response you're most likely to get involves getting yourself an infraction on the forums, which could lead to a ban.

As you know, I am not a PWE employee. I cannot tell you whether the utility is or is not an exploit. I can give you advice, which basically amounts to the suggestion that you should drop it. If you choose to use unsupported software as an aid to play the game, you are doing so at your own risk.
Volunteer Community Moderator for the Star Trek Online forums -- My views may not represent those of Cryptic Studios or Perfect World Entertainment. If you wish to speak to someone on the community team, file a "forums and website" support ticket here, as we are not able to respond to PMs regarding moderation inquiries.
Link: How to PM - Twitter @STOMod_Bluegeek

Last edited by bluegeek; 08-01-2013 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Added clarification