View Single Post
Survivor of Romulus
# 14
08-21-2013, 08:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgta1967 View Post
"Star Trek Into Darkness" grossed just under half a billion dollars worldwide and currently holds a 87 percent Fresh rating on Rotten Tomatoes. Yet during a "Star Trek" fan convention in Las Vegas earlier this month, attendees ranked "Star Trek Into Darkness" as the worst of the Star Trek movies. (As someone who owns "Star Trek V: The Final Frontier" on DVD, I promise it is far from the worst "Star Trek" movie.)"

-Huffpost

the stuck in the mud trek nerds can say what they want.....but the movie proved itself, it kicked butt.
I think there's a huge distinction to be made here.

There's a huge difference between "Good space action adventure film" and "Good star trek film"

JJ's trek films are certainly great action adventure flicks, they're well written and produced (minus all the lensflares) they have a good story and are generally speaking excellent pieces of literature.

But...

And it's a big but (heh), they don't feel like Star Trek to me. That means, I don't perceive them as good star trek films. If they had called it: "Trek Wars: Into Darkness" and had a different (new) IP, we would all love it.

But they didn't, they blew up Vulcan, pissed on the canon and alienated the original cult fanbase in order to get a new wider fanbase.