View Single Post
Captain
# 72
08-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Around 10:00 am this morning, Cryptic resposted the 'Dilithium 101' blog. I have noticed a frequency increase in the number of times the blog gets reposted. Whenever a new holdings project appears, the 'Dilithium 101' blog follows in its wake. Prior to the "Legacy of Romulus" upgrade, the blog would appear at sporadic intervals.

When you think about these special 'dilithium' projects, the following quotes and link comes to mind:

Link: Season 7 Dev Blog #17 (Updated)

Quote:
Pre-Season 7 Dilithium Concerns

As we approached Season 7, we spent a lot of time reviewing the Dilithium economy and evaluating changes that needed to be made based on the following concerns:

Concern 1 ? Active level 50 players are refining far less Dilithium than we expect them to. Prior to Season 7, the average amount of Dilithium refined by an active level 50 player was 3100 per session or 13,250 per week. That is far less than the cap of 8000 per day when you consider that most level 50 players play multiple days per week and slightly more than the average hours per session.

Concern 2 ? Several missions were rewarding far more Dilithium than they should have.
We have a guideline for how much Dilithium should be earned based on effort and time spent, and there were several missions that were clearly outside of our guidelines and players were using these missions to earn more Dilithium than we intended.

Concern 3 ? New gear being created was not in line with other pricing
With all the new gear in the game, gear pricing needed a balance pass to ensure that the amount of Dilithium required for similar gear was consistent across the game. ~ Daniel Stahl
Even though the dilithium rewards changes were reversed, the reality is that Cryptic wants everyone to grind excessively.

200,000 dilithium x 3 projects (fleetbase, embassy, and mine) = 600,000 dilithium on aesthetics per month.

Remember the following quote, for Cryptic's mentality has not gone away.
Quote:
Concern 1 ? Active level 50 players are refining far less Dilithium than we expect them to. Prior to Season 7, the average amount of Dilithium refined by an active level 50 player was 3100 per session or 13,250 per week. That is far less than the cap of 8000 per day when you consider that most level 50 players play multiple days per week and slightly more than the average hours per session.
Cryptic wants to make money, for they have to keep the doors open. I wish it didn't have to come from turning endgame content into a job. Endless grinding is not fun. Since the season seven changes went into place, Cryptic has not adjusted the dilithium rewards to compensate for the new holdings, reputations, and faction. As the new holdings, reputations, and faction went into place, the reward system was never tweaked to accommodate players. Example: In order to purchase Romulan and Tholian reputation gear, players will spend twice the dilithium cost of fleet gear. I guess they really do not care about casual players.

Cryptic got what they wanted.

Players spend more time grinding than enjoying the game.

"Star Trek: Online" has become an actual job.

Cryptic has plans to continuously add reputation holdings, and their actions will cause the dilithium rewards flow to become thinner and thinner. Players are putting more effort into "Star Trek: Online" than they are getting rewarded.

I love allot of what Cryptic has done, but their reward system (and holdings timers) are a game stopper.

...and, that is why I lost faith in "Star Trek: Online' and the developers.

*notices she hasn't signed into "STO" for two weeks*

Only time will tell if Cryptic fixes the system.

*crosses fingers*

Last edited by linyive; 08-22-2013 at 11:12 PM.