View Single Post
Commander
# 24
09-05-2013, 08:16 AM
To me, it's like this, high-end PvE is basically about getting better and more and more efficient at doing a set task with a number of well-defined steps. There's certainty a fun aspect to that, and it can go wrong, and it can be a challenge.

But PvP is different: in PvP there is no set task (apart from kill people ), every fight is fresh, every fight is a challenge where you have to keep your wits about you, and instead of skill approaching an asymptote, skill ceiling in PvP is limitless, because human intelligence is far more tricksy than AI (at least at present, given AI that isn't set to "IWIN").

Basically, with PvE you can get into a pleasant trance state, as you can with anything that's repetitive. And that's nice sometimes, but it can get dull all the time.

But with PvP you have to stay awake and alert all the time. Which is nice in another way, but can also get boring sometimes.

I used to be scared of PvP in MMOs, but gradually over the years I've gotten accustomed to it. The first hurdle is the adrenalin jag, but after a week or two PvP-ing, that will diminish to a level where you aren't just flapping about, shaking like a leaf and mashing buttons in confusion, you will eventually start to be able to keep cool and analyze, and counter; and eventually, anticipate and strike first.

And that's what it's all about (plus also having deep knowledge of all the classes in a game, how they play from the "inside", etc., which, again, only comes with time).

Last edited by gurugeorge; 09-05-2013 at 08:25 AM.