View Single Post
Commander
# 3
09-26-2013, 10:25 AM
Maybe, I'm not sure I agree though.

Carriers are expensive, large craft that require substantially more crew and resources to operate than a typical starship. That's probably why only the 'superpowers' of the galaxy ever built them - the federation, KDF, dominion, so on and so forth can afford them.

The romulan star empire might have been able to, as well, but due to a focus on subterfuge and stealth over open warfare they never needed carriers. The scimitar and it's scorpion fighters were created by the remans and shinzon purely for combatting the romulans and the federation.

The romulan republic is small, it has few enough resources. So far, lore-wise, only the ar'kif/ar'kala has actually been designed and built by the republic, and it's a fairly small vessel all things considered. It can be assumed that the hangar bay on the ar'kif is, lore-wise, designed more as a shuttlebay that can launch scorpions provided by the remans. Still, it would function better as a shuttlebay for tiercels/shrikes.

I dont think the republic has the resources to build a carrier of it's own, so the few scimitars captured from the empire will have to suffice in that regard. I cant recall if the scimitar has one or two hangars, but it should have two anyways.

Really, i just want romulan shuttles to use on my ar'kif, as opposed to reman fighters.