View Single Post
Survivor of Romulus
# 5
10-02-2013, 06:22 AM
While I get your interest in making a combined Vulcan/Romulan ship and see what it turns out to be like, I have to say that I strongly believe that it's just not plausible to do so.

First of all, there is no 'in universe' reason to do such a thing. Yes, the Romulan Republic and the Federation are allies for the time being, but to think they'd jump on it and morph ship designs would be overstretching it a bit.
Then, there is even less 'in game' reasons to do such a thing because this would imply a bonus ship if you're a Fed allied Romulan, thus stretching the gap between the Fed and KDF even more. Now I know that someone will jump and say - "But KDF allied Romulans can get the K'tinga/D7 then!" and yeah, they could, but then it's and old existing in game ship versus new shiny creation - furthermore the K'tinga is availible at T5 for KDF, so that would mean T5 ships being shared which will not happen.
I know you said "regardless of which side you ally with" but that is a very slippery slope.

Next would be the technology. The Romulans left Vulcan more than 2000 years ago and have been developing different technology ever since. That is 2000 years of development gone in a completely different direction. Vulcans use matter/antimatter cores to power their propulsion. On the other hand, the Romulans endeavored in uncovering the mysteries behind controlling a stable singularity which they use as power. These are essentialy different technologies to just morph together and assume it would work.
Even starships built on equal premises have crucial differences, remember in DS9 the Breen energy dissipator disabled the Federation and Romulan ships, but had no efect on Klingon ships.

One more thing I'd like to mention - you're calling this vessel 'Reunificacionist'. I see that word thrown around a lot since the Romulan faction was introduced, but what does it mean? I'm under the impression (not just from you OP, but many people on the forum) that people see the reunification as molding back Vulcans with Romulans, something that will never happen. The Reunificacionist movement is actually a movement of reconciliation between the Vulcans and Romulans as they have been on the receiving side of each-other's hate ever since those who marched beneath the Raptor's wings left Vulcan.
It's a movement for peace between long lost brethren, not a movement to mold the Romulans into Vulcans and have them supress emotions and embrace Surak's logic once again. Nor is it a movement to settle them on the same planet and break the Vulcan's chains on emotions and turn them into Romulans.

So, to sum it - in my opinion there is really no reason whatsoever for such a ship to exist. And the reunification movement is a small minority even within the newly formed Republic, regardless the current head of affairs being a member, so I don't see 'in universe' explanation why someone would stand behind such a project.

----------------------------------------------
Show your support for the Revamped Galaxy Class Exploration Cruiser here!

Last edited by shpoks; 10-02-2013 at 06:25 AM.