# 5
10-17-2013, 07:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
I have indeed read it all
Thank you for making the effort to do so. ^^;

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostusthorn View Post
and aside from small details. I do agree with it.
If you don't mind my asking ... which small details? It would be utterly surprising if anyone were to agree with EVERYTHING, in total, without reservations or alternatives, so I'd be interested in hearing what you think.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehbubbaloo View Post
i am sure the roms will get their ground set, and i am sure it will be op as all hell.
Which is part of the reason why with this [Wishful Thinking] Proposal I'd like to lay down a marker that a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set should NOT BE "op as all hell" as you say. It's why I researched What Has Been Done Before so as to benchmark and honor the precedents already set within the game. It's why for everything that I proposed above I essentially took things that already exist and adapted and modified and made substitutions using other things that are already in the game, and wherever possible looked for what the game balance *already* considers to be "equivalent" bonuses or factors because of how they're structured.

In other words, there's no good reason for why a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set would have to be "op as all hell" before players would even consider it. My stance is that going for a "lateral equivalency" involving DIFFERENT options, as opposed to reaching for a "vertical overshadowing" involving OVERPOWERED options, is the right course to take.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
Klingon Honour Guard armour is based to look heavily ceremonial. These are the guys that guard the chancellor and the emperor. Lots of traditions to uphold as well as fufill the Klingon need to be deadly.
Oh indeed! Klingon Honor Guard not only needs to BE tough, it needs to LOOK tough as well! This is very much in the warrior tradition of "letting it all hang out" (so to speak) so that anyone looking at you thinks twice before deciding to mess with you. So ceremonial pomp and circumstance, but also form following function. In that respect, the Klingon Honor Guard set is very well crafted in its artistry!

Quote:
M.A.C.O. armour is based on the no nonsense federation armour. Smooth, simple, functional. Like their space suits, they are white. In many ways they took a space suit and slicked it down with some curved plates.
This is why of the Anti-Borg Ground Sets the M.A.C.O. armor is the closest thing we've got to a "sleek chic" look. The armor is certainly "elegant" in its simplicity, which is a design cue I strongly recommend for any Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set armor, primarily because when you're trying to be Stealthy it doesn't help for your armor to be "loud" and covered with protrusions involving lots of fiddly bits hanging out everywhere. Instead, you want to go "clean and simple" with the design aesthetic for a Stealthy look. Hence my recommendation for a "melted jelly bean" sort of design sense made in hard ceramics.

Quote:
Omega Force Armour this seems like the mercenary set of the three, style is not even the thought here. Armour, check. Lots of weapons, check. Ugly, double check. It is made to be functional and not be too horrible to either the federation or the kdf. So it will work for any other factions that pop in as well for the neutral set.
My first thought on seeing the Mk XII Omega Force armor was that I was looking at something for the AD Police out of Bubblegum Crisis or some sort of ESWAT armor that belonged in Appleseed. I disagree with you on the styling though. This is totally a submission of Form to the necessities of Function, and is completely consistent with an Elite Commando "loaded for bear" type of aesthetic where you aren't dressed to impress, you're dressed to PERFORM. I will freely admit that the grenades strapped onto the armor would have made more sense if the Set 2 bonus was a Photon Grenade ability, allowing you to "throw" a Photon Grenade just like the Tactical Kits do. As far as I'm concerned, the design of Omega Force armor is all about GET IT DONE and can't be bothered with "chewing bubblegum" (while forgetting names), so in that respect it's also very "in your face" and direct about what it is and what it's for ... so, again, kudos on the Art Direction.

Quote:
Romulans. . . Let's look at their clothing choices for a while. TOS, colourful two tone uniforms with shiny parts and sashes on men and women. (To be fair most of TOS was colourful.) TNG, patterned puffy jackets and severe pants and boots. Some sign of the raptor on a belt or harness. in game Tal Shi'ar, two tone tops, durable pants and boots, pointy shoulders. Raptor insignia on belts and harnesses even larger than before.
The problem with this approach is that it's almost an apples vs oranges kind of thing. All of the things you're citing here are UNIFORMS ... not ARMOR. It's like comparing T-shirt and jeans against (American) football pads and jerseys. The whole purpose behind what's going on, as far as design aesthetics go, don't line up.

Now, granted, there are some aspects of the uniforms that it would be wise to "echo" on any Romulan Armor designs, but that doesn't mean you want to take a "uniform" look (or even its silhouette) and directly translate that into an "armor" look.

Quote:
Now we want a romulan armour: First I propose a throw back on the old TOS helmet. Using the basic shape of that but with a visor hiding the eyes. (Gives tac updates.).
Now THIS makes perfect sense ... so much so that I'm mildly embarrassed to say I didn't think of it first. ToS Romulan Helms (originally designed so the studio wouldn't have to stick "ears" on every extra in shot that kept falling off mid-take) could be "updated" to make them fully head enclosing with a "faceless" visor in front (akin to M.A.C.O. and Omega Force).

Quote:
The chest piece should have enlarged shoulder points to match current trends
The "big shoulders" phenomenon is something that "makes sense" when you've got a soft cloth type uniform, but starts getting ridiculous (not to mention counterproductive) when you've got a hard, rigid armor design. Hard(er) to be Stealthy when you have trouble fitting through doors (without clipping something) when your shoulder parts are just too wide to be practical, and serve no meaningful purpose.

The fundamental underlying philosophy that ALL successful armor design relies upon is ... you don't wear ANYTHING that isn't actually keeping you ALIVE. It's true for any armor designs historically in the real world, and it should be true for any armor designs in the future as well. Enlarged shoulder points for Romulans is a fashion trend that is acceptable in Uniforms, but which serves no purpose on Armor.

My recommendation is "rounded shoulders" that follow the contours of the body underneath it. For visual reference, think more like Stormtrooper armor out of Star Wars (please forgive the mention) with its rounded, practical, functional shoulder pieces ... except done in dark green ceramics instead of (cheap white) plastics.

Quote:
while the chest piece uses overlapping plates as it goes down the side of the ribs. Styled similar to folded wings or feathers.
Now THIS is an EXCELLENT suggestion! I hadn't considered the possibility of working in any kind of "wings" motif into the armor, but doing so along the sides of the torso/abdominals and possibly along the outsides of the legs as well on the thigh is just brilliant. As a longtime City of Heroes player (damn I miss Virtue Server!! ) I recall that there were several costume pieces made available there which had elements that could serve the purpose here (including, but not limited to, the Valkyrie costume set in CoH). Mind you, I only mention this as a point of reference rather than as a "just copy that" sort of recommendation to Cryptic's Art Department. Another point of reference for how this kind of design aesthetic could be done would be (of all things ) the ELVES(!) who showed up in time for the Battle of Helm's Deep in the Two Towers movie directed by Peter Jackson. As I recall, they had some "interesting" functional banding motifs going on in their armor which could be a useful inspiration here for Romulan armor aesthetics.

Quote:
Center on the armoured belt will be the raptor in it's glory.
If the Raptor is to be featured on the belt for this armor, I would hope that Cryptic would somehow make available two different options for the belt ... one with the Imperial Raptor, with wings spread wide horizontally ... and one with the Republican Raptor, with the wings held up vertically so that with the feather spread the whole thing is somewhat ovoid/egg shaped in outline.

Quote:
Leading down to functional tough pants and hard boots that for the sake of style should look to have a knife tucked into it.
I'm actually thinking more in terms of hard ceramic "plate" armor on the thighs, greaves for the lower legs and ceramic armor topped "shoes" (or boots if you prefer). That way you have an "armored" look from head to toe.

Quote:
For colour I think we should use the RRW base yellow/brown on all the soft pieces.
I strongly suspect that those colors were chosen as "earth" tones meant to evoke a feeling of being "close to the planet" and living a simpler, less technological lifestyle. Personally, I rather like the 22nd Century Romulan Top where the non-cloth part of it is a blue tinted silver (color E10, specifically) that looks like polished steel in a variety of lighting conditions. As I mentioned in my OP, *that* is the texture and color I'd want under all the ceramic "hard armor" bits seen inside the joints and gaps in the armor.

Quote:
All parts of hard armour save for the raptor should be in shades of romulan green. This gives a passive camouflage on Mol'Rihan and will look sharp on stations and invading borg cubes.
Are you thinking of the Romulan 1, 2, 4 Materials in the Ship Costume Editor (3 is the "brown" one, remember)? I'd agree with you except that I have the feeling those specific materials and colors are too "light" to really "look right" on a Body Armor ... hence why I recommend more of a darker green such as Midnight Green or even a Hunter Green instead. Alternatively, the darker green used in the Reman 1 and 2 Materials in the Ship Costume Editor might serve, including the chevron texture pattern of the Reman 1 Material.

Quote:
The raptor should be in high gloss gold. You don't hide the raptor behind anything less than a full cloak.
How about gold for the Imperial Raptor (wings spread wide) and silver for the Republican Raptor (wings held high)?

Quote:
As to the rifle suggestion. May I suggest a two type weapon as opposed to plasma grenades. make the second fire option be disruptor fire instead of plasma. So you show the heritage on both sides and it gives you longer before you have to swap your weapon or remodulate.
Eh ... I like my Piercing Beam Barrage plus Plasma Grenade combo gun, thanks.