View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 11
10-18-2013, 06:34 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by feiqa View Post
Hmm, you have a point on flared shoulder pads. Perhaps they can do the M.A.C.O. idea. at Mk XI you have very light shoulders. But the Mk XII has heavier pauldrons for better protection.
It's almost to be expected that as the Mk # increases from X to XI to XII the appearance of the parts and pieces on the armor get ... beefier. That's the precedent set with all of the other Ground Sets, and there's no reason to expect a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set to be any different in *that* regard.

Quote:
Hmm, since this is probably going to be RRW only they will most likely go with the new raptor only. If they do give the option I agree whole heartedly to make one gold and the other silver, too.
Best way to handle this particular wrinkle would be to have the actual armor ITEM have a RRW Raptor with upwards wings and the "egg" shaping to it done in silver ... but then for the Mk XI and Mk XII Costume Reward options for completing those sets, when you're in the Costume Editor at the Tailor and are selecting a Belt for your Uniform, you have two options on the Belt ... a Gold Imperial Raptor or a Silver Republican Raptor. That way the "default" on the item itself is a Silver Republican Raptor, but if you complete the set and choose to make take it as a costume design you can then select the Gold Imperial Raptor, thereby supporting both options by extension.

Quote:
My only reservation on armouring the thighs is it possibly being a bit thick for a 'trim' suit. Perhaps hard portion 'pads'?
I do like the idea of hard greaves with a piece going over the kneecap.
The main thrust of the "sleek chic" aesthetic I'm advocating for is that I want to steer things away from a "macho" sort of Warhammer 40k-ish "humungo armor" look that's all "masculinized" into being a gigantic torso, shoulders bigger than the head (each), and a general "tank like" appearance of just really heavy, heavy, HEAVY armor. If it helps any, I'm thinking more along the lines of a "Light Plate and Mail" sort of armor, rather than a "Field Plate" or even a "Full Plate" type of appearance, so as to make the whole thing *look* like it ought to be nimble and evasive/elusive rather than built to Timex specs ("takes a licking and keeps on ticking"). Mind you, we're talking high tech space armor here, not AC vs THAC0 material pulled from first edition AD&D.

The key thing is though that for anti-Borg combat you're going to want a lot of HARD surfaces on your armor because any flexible or "soft" armor is going to be a Weak Point for injecting assimilating nanites, so you need something that would be defensive against such "injector" attacks. This is why I recommend using a hard ceramic shell material and having that armor protect the thighs as well as the shins so as to not create a gigantic "weak spot" in the upper leg region. Spartan Warriors and Athenian Hoplites could get away with not wearing thigh armor because they carried nice big shields to protect those areas (as "mobile" armor). We don't exactly get the "luxury" of carrying armored shields in STO (we just get "magic" personal shields with a Blue Bar), so as far as Art Direction and appearances for armor goes, not having a hard armor on the thighs would be a mistake.

Quote:
I do like the blued silver for under portions with varied green upper portions. I mentioned shades of green so it could carry highlights and not look like a green blotch. Darker shade definitely work as well.
My thoughts exactly.

Quote:
I liked the plasma/plasma you went with. It has a better feel for it. But none of the other highend armours came with a lingering effect like the plasma grenade does. I suggested the disruptor over/under concept to be unique and have an alternative incase they want to nix the grenade launcher.
A significant portion of my thoughts with the weapon was the simple fact that Romulans have a Ground Trait that allows them to deal more damage with Plasma Weapons. By throwing a Disruptor damage type into the mix you are diluting the advantage and return on investment of selecting that particular Romulan Trait.