View Single Post
Captain
# 16
10-18-2013, 01:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by autumnturning View Post

First of all, I don't know where you're getting 6 seconds of +100% energy damage, since I clearly wrote 5 seconds, not 6 like you claim ... AND ... I very clearly wrote that the buff EXPIRES upon attacking ... which means it applies to ONE attack instead of 6 seconds worth of attacks.

So ... in gameplay ... what that would mean is ... if you Critically Hit while wearing this Shield, you go into Ambush "mode" ... and this effect lasts for either 5 seconds or until your next attack, whichever comes first, and then the Ambush Cloak expires ... meaning it only applies to ONE attack.

When using the Intrusion Rifle as I designed it in my first post, the most likely impact this would have on gameplay is that while maintaining a continuous Barrage of fire on a single target, intermittently (because of a Critical Hits), you'll get a +100% damage buff for a single volley of plasma shots during the continuous stream for a brief spike of damage (1 attack's worth) ... and you'll be able to "tell" because your avatar will oh-so-briefly do a Stealth animation and then fade right back to normal almost immediately because you're attacking continuously (hold down the mouse button) causing the Ambush Cloak to "expire" almost instantly.

As advertised in my first post in this thread, this would cause attackers using the full Set to "flicker" in and out of Ambush Cloak, which I think would make for a really interesting combat effect that would be uniquely Romulan.

Realistically speaking, in actual gameplay, just about the only way to leverage this into being something "more" than it really is would be to use something like a Sniper Rifle of some variety, and somehow manage to make the Ambush Cloak proc boost your 2nd attack on the Sniper Rifle for an extreme spike of Exploit damage against an Exposed target. However, needing to score a Critical Hit on *something* first in order to proc the Ambush Cloak would make being able to do this "on demand" a sufficiently Good Trick that at that point you need to applaud the player's skill (and patience) in setting up that shot more than you need to be complaining that they were able to take it (let alone make it).
You truly have no idea how easy it is for a tactical officer to get a critical hit. There are tactical officers with a 60% chance to critically hit. When firing full auto rifles, you've got a 6.4% chance of NOT critically hitting on a weapon cycle. 5 seconds is plenty of time to pop a group of Tactical officer buffs before taking a shot, in which case they could exceed 2800 damage without a Critical hit. This buff would be basically giving all classes an Ambush III with no cooldown, also conveniently limited to Romulans. It would be an I Win button when used with a pulsewave assault, compression pistol, split beam rifle, or sometimes a sniper rifle. To be honest, such a buff would ruin Ground PvP.

Quote:
Attacking continuously with a "rifle" type weapon ~3 times per second for 6 seconds with a +5% Energy Damage buff amounts to a +90% cumulative damage over time effect (roughly speaking) ... while for "pistol" type weapons that can fire as many as ~4 times per second (theoretically anyway) adds up to a +120% cumulative damage over time effect ... relative to the baseline. My point being that a +5% Energy Damage for 6 seconds buff effectively amounts to granting +1 "free shot" worth of damage delivered (roughly speaking) if attacking continuously for that entire span of time ... which is basically equivalent to putting +100% Energy Damage onto a single attack. The difference however between the two is Pressure vs Spike damage delivery, in which the "pressure" option is a lot more "forgiving" of player skill and opportunism (ie. if you make a mistake or miss an opportunity, you're not losing out on much), while the "spike" option is pretty much All Or Nothing, use it or lose it, which is a lot LESS forgiving of circumstances and opportunities in actual gameplay.

So ... Equivalent But DIFFERENT.
There is a big difference between providing a reasonable boost to spike damage, and an unreasonable boost to spike damage. +5% all damage for 6 seconds isn't bad, it's small and has a pressure effect. +100% for one shot every time you Critically hit is an absurd passive ability to oneshot someone without using any skill. You don't realize that because you don't play Ground PvP.

Quote:
So a "medic" using this ability would be unable to affect others while the Cloaking Module is active. Science Captains and Science Bridge Officers on the ground have no inherent ability to reduce Recharge times, since that's a Tactical Captains Only ability. This means that in PvP a Science Captain using the Cloaking Module is out of the fight until they toggle it off ... and once they've toggled it off, it's going to stay off for at least 20 seconds, nominally speaking.

If 20 seconds isn't long enough to kill a Science Captain or a Science Bridge Officer in PvP ... how much longer would you need to kill them? My point here being that if you can continuously fire upon a "medic" Science Officer (captain or bridge officer) for 15+ seconds and STILL not be able to kill them, then the root cause of the problem isn't in the possibility that "medics" can use a Cloaking Module to avoid letting you shoot at them.
Medic: "Well, I've managed to cause three tactical officers to burn their buffs trying to kill me, but now I am about to run out of heals. They will soon down me if I don't do something fast. I know, I'll cloak and they won't be able to touch me."

Science officers are tanks, they are designed to be hard to kill while still putting out respectable amounts of damage. It takes a lot of skill from a tactical officer to kill a skilled medic. I can tell you know, if my Medic could get infinite perfect cloak on ground, I would never die...unless I did something really stupid. That is true for anyone that is good at ground PvP. One of the downsides of running the Tactical Operative kit is the fact that you are easy to kill when not cloaked.

Quote:
By my accounting, that looks like a +7.5% Critical Chance on the armor, with a 10% chance to increase that to +12.5% (total) for 6 seconds. I don't know where you're getting the idea that this adds +15% Critical Chance on the armor like you claim. The only way you could get to that is by adding in the Set 3 bonus ...
All armor buff procs stack three times, that's +15% critical chance. Add in your "set bonus" and you get +25% Critical chance. For a tactical officer, that will mean they can get about a 90% chance to Critically hit with buffs, and that's before factoring in combat armor bonuses.

Quote:
... which by the way is a carbon copy of the Set 3 bonus on Omega Force, as I'm sure you're already aware. If you're going for the Set 3 bonus then you're using the weapon too, which has a 40% chance for a "chance for +2.5 critical chance when attacking" which I copied verbatim off the Plasma Piercing Rifle Mk IX (common) writeup in-game. So what you're really looking at is a +Critical Chance of +10% nominally with a rare potential to spike up to a +17.5% for brief intervals (if the armor and the weapon both proc together). Even at an attack rate of ~3 shots per second on continuous fire, that still really means scoring a Critical every few seconds (like 2-4) of continuous fire (ie. every 5-12 attack volleys or so) while using a weapon that doesn't have an Exploit Attack.
A 90% critical chance is not a "brief interval", you aren't taking anything outside of proposed set into account. Tactical officers already Critically hit 0.5 - 1 seconds in ground combat. It's nowhere near as rare as you make it out to be, nowhere close. With a 90% critical chance, split beam rifles would have a 1% chance of NOT critically hitting on a fire cycle, full auto rifles would have a 0.1% chance.

Quote:
The full Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set as I've proposed it doesn't have an Exploit attack (unless if you count meleeing with the Rifle Butt attack) ... just like the Klingon Honor Guard Set doesn't have an Exploit attack. That's because rather than relying on Expose/Exploit to deal heavy damage, the set as I've proposed it instead relies on Critical Hits, which then proc the Ambush mechanic instead, thus creating a need for a 1-2 combo of attacks that yields a "pressure spike" of two heavy hits in a row (one Critical, one Damage buffed). And, as if that wasn't enough ... the weapon itself isn't a "spike" damage weapon but more of a "pressure" type weapon with its continuous fire mode. Heck, the Ambush Cloak is all but completely wasted on the Plasma Grenade attack because the only damage being enhanced on the grenade is the plasma damage over time since the explosion damage is Kinetic, not Energy.
Such an attack would never only be one or two heavy hits in a row. It would always result in a large number of chain high damage attacks. You are also missing the fact that there is nothing stopping the player from simply slotting an expose attack weapon in their other weapon slot.