View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 42
10-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by buccaneerdtb View Post
I personally dislike chance procs, and would prefer a balanced activated ability that rewards skill over luck.
Adapted Honor Guard Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Spectrum Overload
Melee-range Stun effect, centered on you and your teammates.

Adapted M.A.C.O. Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Unified Retaliation
Applies of 5 second buff to you and your teammates that will reflect the next incoming energy damage back at its source.

Klingon Honor Guard Shield mod
Chance to damage the attacker when you take damage. The stronger the attack, the more powerful the retaliation.

M.A.C.O. Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Spectrum Overload
Melee-range Stun effect, centered on you and your teammates.

Omega Force Shield special
When receiving All Damage, 5% chance of applying Energy Redirection
Applies a 5 second buff to you and your teammates that will Expose the next enemy that fires at you.

The precedent(s) set by all of the other Anti-Borg Ground Sets is pretty unanimous with regards to what the special modifier ought to be ... and that is a chance to proc some effect. Only the Klingon Honor Guard "stoops" to using an existing modifier available on any other more "ordinary" Personal Shield, which is the [Rev] mod (which itself is a random proc chance already). And while I agree with you that it would be more desirable to have a "click" ability rather than a random "reflex" proc happen when taking damage, and for precisely the reason you cite (player skill vs random chance) ... that's not the precedent that has been set by the Devs up to this point, nor would I feel comfortable with "renouncing" that precedent outright when building a Romulan Anti-Borg Ground Set.

Hopefully that is clarifying.