View Single Post
Captain
# 12
11-05-2013, 05:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlnyghthawk View Post
Well, personally, one way to look at that, is they're getting too stretched thin, and have subjugated too many differing kingdoms/empires, to get away with treating them all as incapable of being warriors, and only fit for menial labourers. As well, specifically to the Orions, heck, sure the Orions did ask to become part of the Empire, however, if they had thought they would be treated as garbage, I think they would either have gone off on their own (Orion mini empire anyone?), or the Klin would really have a bad criminal element, acting against, and sabotaging, every facet of their Empire (and the Orions are fully capable of doing just that).
Whereas, with the current status, all the differing races that are currently capable under KDF laws and regulations, of becoming ships' crew and commanders, have a stake in seeing the KDF prosper.
Well, technically they've only subjugated one 'empire' recently, that being the Gorn Hegemony. The Orions are more like allies than subject species. The Letheans are little more than mercenaries who don't have full citizenship. The Nausicaans were somehow subjugated along with the Gorn, though I generally view them as having the same status as Letheans. I don't even know what the backstory is supposed to be for the Ferasans.

When the Klingons started expanding from Qo'noS, they conquered many alien races that happened to be in the way. There are likely many subject races, they just aren't seen in the Klingon Defense Force, and they don't mix a whole lot with the ruling species (Klingons).

As for the Empire getting stretched too thin. . .doubtful. Not when you consider how the KDF operates. The skill of the average KDF conscript/volunteer doesn't match that of a trained officer in Starfleet (Ensign or above), and probably doesn't match the skill of most Starfleet non-coms (trained engineers, w/e). They're trained to fight hand-to-hand (boarding, invading planets, etc) and utilize most Klingon technology they'll likely come across. That opens the labor pool significantly, because they don't have to go through a 4-year training course like Starfleet personnel have to. It takes an enemy like the Dominion to really stretch the military capability of the Klingon Empire.
tIqIpqu' 'ej nom tIqIp