View Single Post
Rihannsu
# 39
11-09-2013, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidwford View Post
Don't get me wrong, I do believe there is such thing as "intellectual property". My furstration is that when it is licensed out so readily, and the garbage about what is and is not under such jurisdiction is so muddied, then the laws defeat the whole purpose of why they were created.

An example of this is Dungeons and Dragons. There is the offical lable owned by Hasbro, but then the name is also a generic one as well. This is also the case for medicine when the original formula may be patented, but it has become some prevalent due to generic brands that the offical name is used to describe generic varieties too.

Fortunatly, most of the great works of literature from Shakespeare's works to Count Dracula and more are now public domain and can be used freely by anyone without fear of repercussions. I can hardly wait for the day when Star Trek enters public domain. Too bad that in the US, it is 90 years from Gene Roddenberry's death.
Well, there is also a grey area where people run into issues with trying to claim things as IP that aren't really their original creation.
HAIL HYDRA!

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
I can haz joystick!
MMOs aren't charities. Corporations are supposed to make a profit. It's what they do.