View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 10
01-11-2010, 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff_Stevens View Post
the only restore point i can find is from todaay.. is there a way to retrieve other restore points?
Every restore point available should be listed. It's entirely possible you only have the one.
Next step is to use your install disc (or whatever you have that has the vista install data on it) and use that to repair the OS. With the windows disc for instance it gives you the option between a new install, or a repair install. You want to choose repair.
This will screw up some of your settings and preferences in windows, but should get things working again.

I know, all of this is a pain in the butt. The question you have to ask yourself is how much do you want to keep the data on your hard drive? I know on my XP system that stuff is super important (I have a lot of video and audio editing software, using a lot of plugins and custom settings that won't be easy to reinstall), so formatting and doing a fresh install is NOT an option. My Win7 machine is just for gaming though, and while it was a pain to setup, there is nothing on it I'm afraid to lose, so I'd format in a heartbeat if needed.

Side note: if it is a virus (doubtful, as Defender should have noticed anything screwing with system files) try to get a browser to launch and go to http://www.bitdefender.com/scanner/online/free.html and run the online scan. It'll so a basic scan and let you know what's there.