View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 13
01-11-2010, 10:27 PM
I ended up shelling out the seven bucks to get a "premium" one month membership to FilePlanet, and while it's still not ideal, the download is moving a heck of a lot faster than anything else I've tried, including the torrent. I would like to point out, though, that that seven dollars could have been Cryptic's, had they bothered to offer a way to have a CD-ROM sent out. Heck, I'd have paid ten for that.

I remember literally arguing with Blizzard tech support about why they should just send a CD out rather than expecting me to install something on the order of twenty gigs worth of patches when I bought the game (I was a late starter that ended up being a non-starter). They admitted that they do occasionally send out CDs with the patches, but that "it's not something the customer can request- it has to be recommended by tech support." Fabulous customer service there. I ended up canceling my subscription, it was so frustrating. I understand the need for patching, obviously, but there has to be a more effective way of facilitating these huge downloads. Offering a CD for people willling to pay would reduce some of the burden on the various download mirrors, as well, so everybody wins. I really don't understand why more companies don't do this.