View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 17
01-12-2010, 12:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
I ended up shelling out the seven bucks to get a "premium" one month membership to FilePlanet, and while it's still not ideal, the download is moving a heck of a lot faster than anything else I've tried, including the torrent. I would like to point out, though, that that seven dollars could have been Cryptic's, had they bothered to offer a way to have a CD-ROM sent out. Heck, I'd have paid ten for that.

I remember literally arguing with Blizzard tech support about why they should just send a CD out rather than expecting me to install something on the order of twenty gigs worth of patches when I bought the game (I was a late starter that ended up being a non-starter). They admitted that they do occasionally send out CDs with the patches, but that "it's not something the customer can request- it has to be recommended by tech support." Fabulous customer service there. I ended up canceling my subscription, it was so frustrating. I understand the need for patching, obviously, but there has to be a more effective way of facilitating these huge downloads. Offering a CD for people willling to pay would reduce some of the burden on the various download mirrors, as well, so everybody wins. I really don't understand why more companies don't do this.
The biggest problems I see with that are 1) by the time you got the CD from Cryptic you could have already had the client downloaded, and 2) they'd probably charge for it since it isn't free to ship stuff.