View Single Post
Lt. Commander
STO is the first MMO that makes my system "feel old". For the first time my CPU is the minimum recommended (AMD Athlon X2 64 3800+ with little to no upgrade options on the darn board ).
My GPU is the recommended one: geForce 8800GT (512MB - XFX Underdog factory OC).
The system has Win 7 64-bit and 2Gb memory (can't intall more on the darn board )

I know, I need to buy a new computer someday, because this one is getting old, but right now I don't see the real use for a new system...

So I was wondering what videosettings I should use to play STO smoothly...
I normally set my resolution to 1600x1200 @ 75hz (yes, I have an old CRT, but it's a very good one). Playing LotRo I've set all to the max, except for far distance which I've set to the 2nd best. This works very well for LotRo and I get an avarage FPS of 35-50 (depending on where I am). Only in Bree the FPS drops to around 22...

For now I've set STO to the max as well, and the intro screen showed a nice 35-40 FPS, but I wonder what will happen when I start to play STO. How much will the FPS drop, will it become real choppy and should I lower the settings dramatically? Also, should I lower the resolution as well (1280x1024 probably)?

Any input (other than buy a new PC) is welcome