View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-12-2010, 04:18 PM
Well, that was certainly- oh, wait, I'm sorry. That wasn't helpful or constructive at all.

The fact that Cryptic's servers are buckling under the number of people trying to access this game isn't some collective hallucination everyone's having: Cryptic themselves are acknowledging that both downloads of the beta client and attempts to log into the game itself are meeting with major problems due to the volume of people now interested in participating in this beta. All well and good, except that Cryptic's responses give the impression that they had no way of anticipating this surge of interest which is, if you'll pardon my bluntness, a pile. Cryptic specifically advertised participation in this beta as a reason to preorder the game. I'm sure they have statistics on how many people have preordered, so they must have had at least a vague idea of how many people were going to be logging on when this thing opened. I don't think it's out of line to ask why they didn't at least have another server or two open.

And for all the people saying, "It's a beta! Don't you idiots know what a beta is?" Yes, I know what a beta is. But if you're going to advertise this thing all over creation (I saw posters encouraging preorders to participate in the open beta as early as November), you ought to be prepared for the volume of people you're going to get, and you ought to be prepared to deal with a lot of irritated people who don't know all the ins and outs of beta testing. If that's not something you can do, hey, fine. Just don't advertise the open beta as part of a preorder package for the game. When people have already shelled out money, even a relatively small amount of money, the expect stuff to work as advertised. Cryptic should have been able to see this one coming, and it's the fact that they couldn't/didn't that makes me wonder.

Quote:
Also, what snark? What attitude? The Dev gave a straight answer without any of the flowery word ******** that normally accompanies it. He answered directly and gave clear information. There was no snark or attitude.
You're kidding, right? The dev didn't give an answer at all. A straight answer would have been, "Sorry, the beta files aren't available on CD. Try X for a download that better suits your IP situation." Instead, he condescendingly informed us that yes, there is a way to get the game on a DVD... by buying it on 2/2. Wow, thanks! We had no idea! He was obviously aware that we know where to get the official release, but he completely ignored the complaints and questions regarding the beta in favor of being snide. You're entitled to your opinion, of course, but yeah, that response from someone representing Cryptic, especially in light of all the issues people are having with this beta, was rude.