Thread: Very poor start
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 16
01-12-2010, 06:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FaustianSlip
Yeah, this is my main issue with Cryptic at the moment. They're acting as though they had no idea that this many people would end up responding to a massive advertising campaign that's been going on since back in November.
No, they aren't. The purpose of this open beta is NOT to test the actual gameplay (or at least, that's not the primary reason. It is, of course, secondary), but to stress test the servers.

Not only is this expected for them, they WANT it. Open Beta for an MMO is not a demo, it is designed to destroy their servers.

There are many reasons for this. The main one is to view the statistics as a result. What goes wrong with the server when too many people are on? Where are people getting disconnected/errors the most? Where do large groups of players clump up when they first start the game at the same time?

This allows them to allocate more servers to the right areas.

It also gathers other important information, such as problems that occur in areas with a ridiculous amount of people, what makes the server go wonky, how when and why, so It can be prevented in the future.

I know it sucks. I'm currently posting this while waiting for my character information to be retrieved for the fifth time in 30 minutes. But that's the purpose of this, it's not a shock to anyone except maybe consumers who don't understand the finer points of open beta.