View Single Post
Ensign
# 39
12-17-2013, 11:59 AM
I also cannot make a thread, even though I have had this account for perhaps close to a year. Odd.

I have not played ST:O in a few months and came back to experience the new content. I've noticed two issues recently that were not present before and I could not find any threads relating to them:

1. Upon game startup (after selecting a captain), the game will basically remain at less than 1 FPS for 1-2 minutes, sometimes approaching 3 minutes. After this, the game returns to more normal speeds, but this only happens upon loading up after choosing from the character selection screen. It happens regardless of which character I choose.

2. During gameplay, always on the ground but sometimes very rarely in space, my FPS can drop from 60+ to <20. I've had spikes send the frame rate as low as 1-5 FPS, which is mind-boggling and I wish I could say they were infrequent enough not to notice but they are jarring.

Ironically, the only thing to have changed since I last played is upgrading for more RAM and a better GPU from the same manufacturer with more than sufficient speed and VRAM.

I have tried messing with individual settings, and that can marginally increase the normal FPS, but never removes the spikes. They average a dozen or so a minute. Also, in cutscenes I'm anywhere between 120-180 FPS and spikes simply do not occur, even though the cutscenes are rendered with what I assume is the same engine as the main game. What gives?

Specs:

- AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 955 Processor Black Edition
- SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 7950 3GB 384-bit GDDR5
- Asus M4A79XTD EVO motherboard
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3