View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 44
01-15-2010, 10:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jalbert82 View Post
Oh and, anybody running under Wine/OSX, there's an options button in the upper left of the loading app, just next to the Cryptic logo. Go into the options menu and uncheck Fullscreen.

Wine/OSX uses X11 to draw the game's window (same as Linux), but the version of X11 that ships with OSX doesn't support switching resolutions. So, most games that run fullscreen don't work with Wine/OSX.

The paid-for version from CodeWeavers, I have CrossOver Games for Mac, bundels it's own version of X11 that fixes this (and probably other) issues. But CodeWeavers only releases new versions about every six months, while http://winebottler.kronenberg.org/ offers most of the same features but is updated almost as soon as a new version of Wine comes out.
Xquartz... X11 on OSX supports fullscreen mode, but yes it doesn't have resolution switching. If you want to play it in fullscreen good, you'll want to run in fullscreen mode with the game set to your screens resolution. also enable a Virtual Desktop, and kill the quartz-wm process (so the virtual desktop doesn't have a window bar). Fullscreen mode is MUCH more stable with Wine if a virtual desktop is enabled.

Or you can use Wineskin and the fullscreen and resolution switching options I entered in.... but I dont have any Wine versions available for it that will run this yet.

When I finally get a Mac version running with Wineskin, I'll just release the .app for others... anyone on a Mac will be able to just download my STO.app and double click and run it... no need to worry about Wine and X11 and stuff.

If I have ot majroly look into Wine source code though ... I doubt it'll be anytime soon.