View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 19 Well that's all and nice.
01-16-2010, 04:06 PM
So you give away 15K-20K open access beta keys. You only have 3-weeks of open beta. You run promotions for "Pre-Order Specials and content". You are releasing an MMO extension to one of the most successful sci-fi franchises around.

You then either fail to adequately measure in closed beta the per-node populous or mismanage the initial configuration of the servers. It would be safe to say that every person who signed up for the closed beta WOULD be clammoring to get an open beta key. It is also safe to say that at a minimum everyone who has pre-ordered will be playing. Do you not have access to this number and then plan for a launch population of 2/3 or 3/4 of it? Could you not have gotten the percentage of server cap needed pre/post launch based from closed/open beta requests from city of heroes/villians and/or champions online?

Sounds to me like things were not thought through, or that marketing got ahead of development. I for one won't be jumping on any of that pre-order bandwagon or special subscription train until I can play the open beta for more then 1-hour. BTW, the servers crashed twice during that hour and I had to re-roll once from a failed recovery in the starter missions. Bug report was submitted.

Given the lack of capacity, there should be some sort of 5-minute idle timer imposed as mentioned previously. If you are not going to actively play then log off. There is already enough anomalous masses in space, it doesn't need more.