View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 105
01-17-2010, 05:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobox
Agreeing that they probably won't have a native client out, but I do wonder exactly why the errors we are seeing are cropping up. I'm still just a CS student and haven't done any game programming, but I know that WINE is supposed to handle windows system calls and whatnot just like a native OS would, which makes me think that some of the code used in the STO game engine has either malformed or esoteric lines of code. If that is the case, I'd wish that they had cleaned up / standardized the code a little more (I'm sure it would help overall stability), but I understand that *nix architectures have inherently better memory management, and if the problem truly lies in memory allocation issues, the less improved windows memory tools may not translate well into wine-approved ones.

@our dev friend, I'm assuming you're not giving us detailed explanations because you are a representative of cryptic, and for some reason you can't be direct with us. However, if you can speak freely, is there any real chance of the designers even trying to boot into linux, running the client on wine, and seeing the errors for themselves? Even one dev trying this at home for fun could be able to say to us "yeah, I tried it, I can see that it is not working, and I think the problem is with how we handle _____." Not everyone posting is technically minded, but some of us are, and it would be supremely cool to hear a dev actually say to us that they acknowledge the problem, and then tell us the actual cause. I have tried asking this of the WoW devs, and their answer is still phrased in the way that I explain programming to my parents (it is magic / works that way because thats the way it is).
I can say with 99% certainty we won't ever have a native client. To retrofit all the Win32-ness out of our code (not just Dx, memory handling, input code, file system access, network APIs, etc etc) would be a fairly colossal undertaking. As for testing with Wine ourselves, we also have no plans to do that, mostly just because we don't have the manpower for it. If some dev wanted to take a stab at it in their free time, I'm sure no one here would have a problem with it, but obviously thats not something that you can rely on or expect to ever happen (personally I do a lot of other FOSS stuff in my free time, hard to find time for more projects without my girlfriend taking an axe to my computer, can't speak for anyone else though). As for why the game doesn't work in Wine, it isn't an issue of malformed code, its just that Wine isn't that good of an emulator given the full scale of the problem. It does its best, but plenty of things in Wine don't work the same way as they do in Windows.