View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 22
01-18-2010, 08:25 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by grailchaser View Post
This wouldn't be such an issue if there was more than *one* server. Then we could choose a different one and a different character to log in.
Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but the idea of people logging into "one server" is seriously outdated. They don't have just one server per shard/instance/world/whatever. They have a number of servers that all work together. So instead of having 20 individual servers/worlds that separate the population into a bunch of named "servers" like people are traditionally used to in games like EQ, WoW, etc. they would have 20 servers (arbitrary number) all combined into one "world" that splits people into multiple instances to spread the load across the server farm. It's like if WoW were to magically connect all their "servers" that people log into so that everyone can play with everyone else.

And thank god. No more annoying, "Oh you have high level characters on server X? Well shoot, mine are on server Y!"

And in this specific case I'm willing to bet that the "world" is still running, it's the log-in system that's having issues.