Low Cost New Player Builds
View Single Post
Join Date: Nov 2012
03-02-2014, 10:40 PM
Here is one of my current escort builds.
So let me stat by saying I have 3 toons that run almost the same setup on a few different ships. This is my fleet escort which I fly because I love it... and because it is almost identical to the bug. (yes yes yes I know everyone is going to say but but 5 tac cosnoles and a bit more hull and bit more turn) Trust me if you haven't flow a fleet escort refit. It FEELS almost the same to the user. It hits pretty much as hard... and honesty it frees you up to run one extra armor on it anyway which in the end I think isn't so bad. My toon with the bug runs one armor instead of 2 and an extra tac console... otherwise I have them setup the exact same.
So what is NOT cheap ... let me list the upgrades. (not counting of course the ship... which is 4 Fleet mods and access to a tier 2(pretty sure) fleet yard.
1) Weapons... I run [acc]x2 [CrtH] Right now (these are not always expensive though... I have snagged these as low as 200k each). I don't think [acc]x3 is worth the EC investment and even though I could afford to buy full sets of [acc]x3 at market price on them I don't bother. I like my [acc]x2 pew guns. (honestly I have sets of [acc] [crtd]x2 on my roms quite on purpose)
2) Doffs... obviously this is the majority of the cost. Fist there is unlocking of the sixth doff slot (150,000 fleet cred). I run 3 Purple Damage control doffs. 2 Purple Conn doffs (attack pattern cool down) and one Purple Matter Anti Matter (aux to damp). The total cost in EC is around 110 million EC I guess on any given day. (however these can all be something to shoot for)
- As was talked about earlier in the thread for a leveling version... I think Omega 3 + Omega 1 and then dropping the Attack Pattern Beta for Rapid fire 1 would be the way to go. Aux to damp I would run without the doff until you can score a cheap one or save the EC. (or try to get a good deal on a blue one on a weekend when the market is moving). Damage control doffs same deal hunt for deals... and you can get away with Blue ones until you can upgrade. The only doff that I would change the build a little bit around would be the Conn doff (Attack Pattern doffs) When you get those you can go back to Rapid Fire 2 x 2 + Omega 3 / Delta 1. (with perfect uptime). This also makes you a great team mate to have around as you can now throw your Tac team at a team mate and allow them to perhaps keep a FAW up 100% for awhile or what have you (or they I guess in this case)
3) Consoles.... Plasmotic Leech. (many PvE people are already going to have this anyway) If they don't this is something to grind EC for. Borg Console(+ Kinetic Cuttung Beam) both Tier 2 Omega rep items not really that hard to grind out if you have not already done so. Tachyo console (this isn't required) again this can be grinded by buying keys with EC or earned Dilithium->Zen->Keys->Lobi. The lobi consoles are cool and nice but not needed long term grind item. Spire tac cosnoles / Embassy Shield heal console / Mine Engi consoles... all grind items. These are just putting in the time. They will take lots of Fleet Cred and a good amount of Dilihtium, all earned by grinding the PvE content.
4) Ship gear. Aegis set... you can see now why I was talking about it in the low cost escort build. Because I find it comparable and preferable myself to the Fleet options. Some people will run Fleet Engines and Deflectors as well... to earn these is again just pounding fleet missions and earning Dilthium every day for awhile. Fleet Shield. Resilient [resb] [adapt] is pretty standard in PvP these days, again its just grinding the fleet PvE missions. I have swapped over to Spire Warp Cores on my escorts from the mine ones... [amp] mod is a nice dmg boost... and the Spire resistance to energy drain is great for escorts. (my sci ships I have stuck with mine cores that have better power bonuses)
That pretty much sums up my standard escort build it isn't fancy... I am not trying to vape people with overloads right now or land torps... I have been flying standard pilot heavy builds again. (focusing on staying on target and shooting at the right people). For awhile I was saying all cannons was dead... but with the new spire consoles and cores I have been finding them to be effective again, if you play smart.
Comparing my current standard escort setup to the low(er) cost version I posted first in this thead. I think it is clear how that build morphs into my current one by doing the PvE grinds. Aegis I love so you can have that as soon as you can dump either the EC to a crafter or do the crafting yourself. It does suck not having a fleet shield right away... but that should be your first upgrade. Do fleet shield first then Fleet core... then fleet consoles. (many people run basic mk x fleet cosnoles as well... honestly you can go mk x engi and sci fleet consoles at a fraction of the grind cost and really not give up much) After that grind out the marks for the fleet dmg consoles. As for the doffs... I understand that is the biggest hurdle to a new player on a build like this. There are no free options to grind out the Purple DMG control or the special Attack Pattern doffs (came in the gamma quad pack out of the cardassian lockboxes) or for the Anti Matter (aux to damp doff). Those would be the only things that grinding the game won't earn you directly. However what you want to do is find some ways to grind EC. Star Base 24, Gorn mine Field reward nicely, there are foundry farm missions you can do 1-2 times a day for anywhere from 500k-1.5mil EC. If you have a plan of what you want to get though to pick up X or Y Doff or piece of gear it makes it much easier to do what you have to do to save for it I find.
(I posted Tetryon because it is what I am running right now... I find most people have RESB shields so I like to run Tetryons and polarons right now... on one of my toons I know I picked up polaron spire consoles instead) Really the weapon type isn't important, you can run what ever you like. I like to run [acc]x2 DHC... and either [acc]x3 turrets... or [acc]x2 Dual proc turrets (like Polarized Disruptors ect)
When the messenger comes to appropriate your profits ... kill the messenger.
Last edited by antoniosalieri; 03-02-2014 at