View Single Post
Republic Veteran
# 156
03-07-2014, 07:39 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by catoblepasbeta View Post
Enterprise has you beat there. The Romulans there were TNG-style as well. They had the option with going with cornball pink/purple pajamas clad ROman knockoffs and declined. Can only imagine why.

As much as you like to bring up book evidence of the Tal Shiar being relatively new, newer material supersedes and retcons the Tal Shiar to predating the Federation.

The Tal Shiar possesses its own ships and infantry. They are part of the armed forced of the RSE even if they operate outside the structure of the Navy. Her backstory that Cryptic wrote for her indicates that she hates the Tal Shiar, which made it all the more bizarre when LOR came around and Hakeev was suddenly her right hand and she allowed the non-tal Shar military to be disbanded.

I was talking about pre-legacy of Romulus, where Hakeev and Sela never talk to each other. Mind games is LOR material, and the old Cutting the Cord Mission had her warping in in response to the KDF/FED player invading a Romulan planet.

I didn't deny that the Republic was a Republic, only pointed out that it was never called the Republic prior to LoR, and in fact, did not exist at all prior to New Romulus.

So? I never said they weren't experimenting with Borg tech prior...there's a episode or two that deal with it prior to 'The Return' even before LOR...though I always found the Federation's position on the Rommies having borg tech to be more than a bit hypocritical considering Voyager, the Delta flyer, and Omega Force.
I don't know where you got this pink/purple pajama thing, but that's not what the TOS Romulans wore.

The Romulans in TOS were aggressive and tricky, sure; that's not a matter of dispute. What is the matter disputed is the fascist bully-boy nature which characterized most Romulans in TNG and all the later series (although ENT doesn't really do that).

I have yet to see any date for the formation of the Tal'Shiar other than the one I have stated repeatedly. I've stated the source explicitly. You have vaguely referred to "newer material" without any specifics. State the source(s) or give it a rest.

The Tal'Shiar has its own fleet, yes. It is still not a military organization, and is explicitly stated to be civilian and not military.

I don't recall having encountered Hakeev before LoR (although I may have forgotten, since my Vulcan and Orion were already at the level cap for quite some time prior to the release of LoR). Furthermore, he's not mentioned anywhere in the Path to 2409.

When the player first encounters Temer in the Virinat system (which, oh my, is prior to the rediscovery of New Romulus), he identifies himself as a part of "the Romulan Republic." Several additional references to "the Romulan Republic" are made prior to the rediscovery of New Romulus.

And attacks by supporters of the Empire against the Republic for experimenting with Iconian tech while the RSE experimented with Borg tech are not equally hypocritical?

Fvillhu s'Tal'Diann (Phi'Tlaru Rihan) Praetor of the Tal'Diann/Tal-Diann
Tal'Diann = KDF-allied Romulan Republic Fleet / Tal-Diann = Fed-allied Romulan Republic Fleet