Development moves in the last six months that have negatively impacted PvP
View Single Post
Join Date: Jan 2014
03-14-2014, 10:10 PM
Originally Posted by
These are of course my opinions but I do know for a fact a lot of them are shared with at least some of you. Some more than others, but as I never really hold back a thought, here we go. My top ten list of development changes since the summer that has made PvP more and more of a joke.
1. The Romulan faction. This is an old dead horse in most aspects but today it still rings true more than anything else in the game. The crit hit chance coupled with nearly unbreakable battle cloaks on every ship coupled with the escape skills via singularity powers coupled with the lunacy of the overpowered universal consoles (valdore being the big nasty of them all) has turned PvP into a pointy vs pointy war in which most of our toons established prior to Legacy of Romulus have been rendered utterly obsolete. This is true also for nearly every federation ship and many of the KDF non battle cloakers. Why play a human or klingon when you can play an overpowered space elf with more damage and defense than anything else?
2. Spire tactical consoles. We knew these were coming, but the addition of up to eight critical hit chance or 40 critical severity pushed the power creep a lightyear above what it was before. In fact, this singular addition rivals the power creep jump of LOR itself. Before LOR the most crit any ship would ever see was about 15%, now it is completely possible to push that to 35 and even a little higher, right along with crit severities hitting 150-200.
3. The shuttle PvP addition. This completely flopped and the main reason it did is because of universal consoles and nimbus/fleet support bringing in Starship level power and damage to a field of ships not able to handle it. Take a single isometric charge or integration circuit up against a couple shuttles and see what happens.
4. The Voth ships. Rarely talked about, these ships come with console bonuses that when combined with boff abilities and specs turn them into nearly unkillable science spammers. I was not wrong when I said the Palisade was going to knock the wells off the mountain, it has and it has a lot. Add this to the fact we already had nearly unkillable ships, and it will lead into the next problem.
5. Additions of more universal console madness (and the ability to stack them ad nauseum, and obtain the uni consoles of both sides for use on ONE ship). This has lead to the prevalence of Vapers, Supper Bosted FAW boats that can do insane amounts of bleedthrough damage, The whole uni console pack via lockbox thing needs to stop now, but its probably already too late. It gets even worse on a romulan toon that can get access to EVERY SINGLE CONSOLE IN THE GAME and stack them together into a ship that can then spike for over 300,000 damage in 3 seconds via BO/TS/ISO/Proton/Ion/Bioneural/god knows what else. The impulse capacitance cell being given to everyone was the stupidest move I have ever seen, as well. Not to mention its possible to bypass console cooldowns by swapping them out of combat, christ sakes cryptic, think about this stuff!
6. Doffs. This isnt really a last six months only thing, but in the last six or so months we have seen the addition of some of the most ridiculously overpowered and imbalancing doffs of them all. Impossible to name them all, but between the Elachi lockbox, Romulan doff pack, Voth lockbox, Tal Shiar Lockbox, and Hirogen lockbox we have seen some pretty insane combinations come out. Additionally we also had a sixth doff slot added with the spire, making the doff problem in space even worse!!
7. EPTX. Increasing the duration was the single stupidest move you have made with any boff power, ever. Having EPTS at 100 percent uptime, EPTE at 100 percent uptime. Do you not see the problem with that? It is completely and totally possible via doffs to have a ship able to move at near full impulse speeds (or more with other abilities) 100 percent of the time.
8. Whatever you did with the changes to pets when you came out with the obelisk. Its already been mentioned on the forums tonight in another section, but the ability to stack buffs on the pets you launch turns them into little nightmares stacking 12 APBs or worse on your opponents. Lets not forget the addition of all these new frigates and other harassment pets lately that have really silly abilities they can spam so often that it seems like youre literally caught in a web of debuffs constantly.
9. Unlinking the cooldowns for Tactical/Engineering/Science teams. Some people on the forum here seem to think this isnt a big deal, but ive seen whats happening in the game. People are starting to carry them all the time, making subnuke/sensor scan/fomm/and a plethora of boff skills virtually unusable most of the time. No longer do we have to pick and choose and make tradeoffs in our skills, no no, defense wasnt high enough before, now we can just slap every single clear onto our ship and just remove anything at the press of a button without needing any help from our teammates. This was a problem with the Keelel doff to be sure, but its been amplified murderously by this change.
10. The upcoming change to Elachi weapon procs. As if we didnt have enough shield bypass out there already? Yes defenses are high but this change is going to have the effect of basically rendering the concept of a shield obsolete. Might as well hulltank it now because the proc is going to be hitting you every couple of seconds once everyone switches to them. No more lockout time, everyone can proc it over and over and over.
So there is my list, oh there is way more but Ill leave that up for discussion. I am so close to just being done with it all. Ive stuck around and been as competitive/flexible/understanding as possible. I am a fighter and stubborn, but the last couple of weeks especially have really put some last straws into play. Something has to give, something has to change, and at this rate like so many others it might just be me stopping STO altogether. PvP was bad before all of this garbage. Now its just awful.
Dude, i know u havent been around as long as some of the vets, but ill tell ya now, get ready to release STO from your brain if you know whats good for ya.
Skill and competition in this game is slowly fading, because with all the crap they add there is less and less to finetune and time, just spam spam continuously.
::: Playin SWTOR :p :::
Last edited by therealmt; 03-14-2014 at