View Single Post
Lt. Commander
Quote:
Originally Posted by TauNeutrino
Hi all,

My attention was brought to this thread recently, and it's encouraging to see so much interest in getting STO running on other platforms besides Windows. I have been poking around lately with getting the Cryptic engine running under WINE, and thanks to some joint work with CodeWeavers it's looking like full support is just around the corner.

In fact, last night I was able to log into the beta and play for an hour using a lightly modified version of the wine/hacks branch under Ubuntu. Any of you who are reasonably tech-savvy should be able to test my solution:

1. Get the wine/hacks branch from http://repo.or.cz/w/wine/hacks.git
2. Get the following patches from http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=21401: (kindly provided by Jeremy White)
- "Hack to work around issue with GetProcessMemoryInfo"
- "Patch to address failure in GetCurrentDirectoryA with 0x10000 sized buffers."
3. Build & install.
4. Run winetricks ie6
5. Run the launcher, patch up and go!

Please report your level of success here.
I want to thank the nice Cryptic Studios Teamers and CodeWeaversers that have have ingade in this issue block. I alsow want to reconse the eforts by WINE users and STO plyers that want to use Linux/GNU and MAC OS X for plaing STO. Solving problems whit this can help i hope solve som of the 64bit windoews prblems as well. I you run a 64bit system like WinXP 64bit as well as ubuntu 64bit whit WINE (recmmanden WINE hacks whit paches) you can get the grapics recotionsen by game clinet problem. I have it whit my Radeon HD 3870 for bofh ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 Proprietary Linux x86 Display Driver (ati-driver-installer-9-12-x86.x86_64.run) and ATI Catalyst™ 9.12 Display Driver for Windows XP Professional x64 Edition (9-12_xp64_dd_ccc_enu.exe). I think ist has some thin to do whit running 32bit Windows programs in a 64 bit OS. how to reach ATI support efectivly? I think they shuold know about this issue.