View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 14
01-24-2010, 01:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silicon_Panda
Aside from some errors, it's not too bad.

Peripheral hardware being USB over PS/2 makes no difference in gaming. Sometimes in fast paced First Person Shooters older usb mice can lag a few milliseconds in its response time, but does nothing to effect Frame Rate.

Sound. Given the minimum requirements to play STO, if you meet these then sound will not cause you any loss of fps, especially if you have a sound card, which most gamers do. If you are among the "casual" gamers then you may have just an onboard audio card, which still would not effect fps due to the multi core cpu.

If you put all your video settings to what you recommend then STO will look like some MMO from the 90's.

I would STRONGLY advise people to not use Viper's Process Guide unless they are very comfortable with making changes to their computer that may very well render it inoperable if done wrong, resulting in a need for a total reinstall of the OS
Well, we agree on some points but not others.

- USB devices CAN drain resources. Back in like 02' I played EQ for a few months, on a PII 600 Mhz 64 mb ram crap Intel onboard video and sound. Needless to say my FPS was crap, and I was using a USB keyboard and mouse at the time. Sometimes my system would be so slow, I'd take a look at System Resources (this was 98SE) and see it down at like 80% or less, with just the login screen for EQ up. When I switched to a typical PS/2 setup, that percentage went from 80's up to 90's. Sure, it may have been just a weird system config but USB devices draw power and resources from a PC, and like the guide says most modern PC's don't have any issues with this but hey, ya never know for an older machine.

- Sound can affect performance, if you're using onboard sound, a single core CPU, with not a lot of ram and onboard video? Yea, turning off sounds will net you a few more frames. Every bit of resources your system can save on such a low end pc as that example, is helpful.

- Oh it will "look" like crap, I agree but it will be playable. For some people, they'd rather have bad looking graphics and the ability to play rather than pretty graphics and a frame rate so low it's impossible to play.

As for Black Viper's guide, as long as you are smart about it, do some research, it's fine if you follow it. If you are unsure what a process does, Services.msc lists a description on the left hand side of the dialog for each service you select, or at the very least you can Google the service and get a more layman description. I personally advise using it, strongly. There are so many processes running by default you might not need. Like Printer Spooler? I don't have a printer, don't use one, and that service is always running on system bootup, turn it off. (just one of MANY examples).

I'll edit with updated descriptions, I was aiming for speed in making it since I saw there was a need for it so any small errors please forgive.