View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 29
01-25-2010, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cipher_nemo View Post
What is 48C, 63C, 58C, etc.? Please specify GPU, CPU, ambient temps, etc. 68C for a video card is fine, but 48C for ambient temperature inside the case is not. 68C for a CPU is too high, while 58C for a CPU is high, but ok.

AHHHHHH!

I've seen this many, many, many times before with other games. In fact, I went through that nightmare almost a year ago with my video cards and the LOTRO MMO. It was with my GTX 285. Blackscreened (no video signal), but sound still active, had to do a hard reset to get it back. I went through a lot of troubleshooting until I RMAed that 285. Second one, same problem. Complained to EVGA, RMAed it again, and sure enough 3rd one was fine! I then did the EVGA Step-Up program to swap it for a GTX 295 for about $100. Others over on the LOTRO were having this problem too. A kinship member of mine (guild member) had the same problem with a GTX 280 or so and sure enough, a replacement fixed it.

Bottom line: defective video card. Sorry, that's the symptoms of it. It can happen within minutes or gaming or within hours of gaming. Mine was much more sporadic with sometimes 15 minutes, then sometimes hours. Is that video card still under warranty? If so, swap it. If not, you'll need to buy another.

And it will be random in different games.
Considering that I have no problems in other games, and that getting a new video card isn't really an option for me, can you think of any other possible explanation to look in to? Or a way to test the card that would determine if it is faulty beyond running a game and seeing if it crashes?

Regardless, thank you very much for your input.