View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 20
01-25-2010, 01:40 PM
Solid suggestions for those struggling with producing a good framerate.

I'd like to make some recommendations and comments about a few of these options, specifically...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavgeek View Post
Aspect Ration - width basically, of the display. Think, HD vs SD, generally. If you have a widescreen monitor you can crank it up to 16:9 or 16:10 etc or typical 4:3. Smaller might get you a frame or two but generally not since the game is already drawn, this is simply altering how you view it. RS: 4:3 or Auto
This should actually always be on auto unless the client isn't determining their aspect ratio properly. It should not affect performance (or have a nominal impact). For example, if a person is running a 16:9 monitor but sets it to 4:3, things are going to look skewed, but it's not going to affect performance.

Quote:
Monitor Vertical Sync - This will attempt to keep your fps in sync, but it takes up a little bit of resources, and most often if you're trying to tweak FPS, then you really don't have the power to keep a constant FPS to begin with. Some debate this is better on rather than off, you can experiment but in my gaming lifetime, having this off in a game has always boosted performance. RS: Off
Vertical sync is still a good thing to leave enabled. Why? Even if they're getting less frames per second on average for gameplay, they're going to get much, much more on a static loading screen that's still rendering via DirectX. Having vertical sync enabled should reduce GPU load (and thus temps) while people are stuck on loading screens, and that's always a good thing. I don't think there's any performance hit if you leave it on even if you GPU isn't getting close to your monitor refresh rate during normal gameplay conditions.

Quote:
Underwater view - gimmicky setting, you don't really need it. RS: Off.
Yup, I agree, off for people struggling with performance. However, I believe this has to do with how the environment is rendered when you're either 1.) viewing a pool or water and seeing what's under it, or 2.) when viewing the environment while under water. Not sure which, as I haven't tested it. But it does serve a purpose and I agree they can leave it off to help performance.

Quote:
Reduced File Streaming - I believe this lowers how much the game streams and/or loads a zone information to you as you move area to area. I personally don't use it. RS: Off
It depends. This is a performance enhancer if the user has a good deal of video memory. For example, they might have a cruddy, weak video card, but with 1GB of video memory. I'd say if a user has over 512MB of video memory (ie: 640MB and up), they should enable this for better performance. If they have less (ie: 320MB, 256 MB, etc.), they should disable to improve performance. 512MB is probably close to where it evens out, but that's just an educated guess from testing STO with the various PCs and video cards I have.

Nice job on the write up!