View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 142
01-25-2010, 06:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamount View Post
Scay, you're not even remotely close to being right.

First off, your analogy is completely worthless. Floppy drives are mechanical objects with moving parts, as are hard drives, which means that even if you did have software that could "destroy a hard drive within hours" (which I doubt), it still has no bearing on this discussion.

Processors are absolutely designed to run at full load for extended periods of time. What the hell did you think "Prime95/Furmark stable" meant? Many good builders, and all competent overclockers will run these programs for hours before considering a machine stable. On my machine, neither the GPU nor CPU reach unsafe temperatures under full load, topping out at 75C and 48C respectively (though the GPU usually doesn't pass 60C), and running them for hours, days, or even weeks would be no issue. Indeed, both are run intensively for hours a day as it is. Neither have aftermarket cooling, both are overclocked, and both do what you claim hardware can't do. So much for that theory.

Your examples of what would "damage" a card also have relatively little to do with reality. Having a card produce a mere 100fps in a 3d application is hardly a damaging activity. Again, my cards do it for hours a day, and before you make comments on the life of my hardware, my Radeon X850PRO from 2004 is still running without a hitch (now in a hand-me-down machine), and it's by far the worst cooled component I've ever owned due to its single-slot cooler.
You can easily google up software to kill a harddrive.

Anyway, although a CPU and a GPU may be able to run 100% for some time, I can make ALL your computer components run at 100% all the time. That includes network, GPUs, all cores, harddrives, possibly CDROMS, everything. Just running your GPU and CPU at 100% will not overheat a working system, but if you increase the heat further by CDROM and HDDs it may. Maybe not on your computer if you built it in a fridge but certainly on a high percentage of computer systems sold.

Computers are just not made for running the entire system at full speed, and there is not a single software to test it, because its friggin stupid to do it, it will damage your computer over time.

I didnt say 100 FPS will damage your card, I said 100 FPS is an absolutely useless framerate that should never be produced. STO will produce FPS in the 1000th which may damage a weaker system though.