View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 1 Who Fired First?
01-30-2010, 03:48 AM
So far, I have to say, STO is better than I thought given its just rolled out, and not even officially at that. Sure, I'm sure there are some things that will need to be addressed, but isn't that always the case with new MMO's? Sure it is.

Just a thought though regards the combat system...
In the TV series, films etc., a federation vessel would not engage until threatened. By that I mean, they would 'not fire until fired upon'. This is a policy of most real military forces in real life and it was reflected in Star Trek when it hit the screens. Is this something that should be considered for the combat system in game?

Historically, the Klingons, Romulans, Borg, whoever, were the aggressors and always either fired first or at least had to excercise their aggression before the Starfleet crews could take any aggressive action. In STO, this could be accomplished quite easily. Those playing as Starfleet officers would simply have to wait before engaging the enemy. Effectively, the enemy could turn aggresive at any point. May be better for PvE but could be introduced for PvP too.