Thread: MMO Launches
View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 15
01-30-2010, 01:17 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daireishi
You didn't mention ****, ****'s launch was MUUUUUUUUUUUUCCCCCCCCCCCHHHHHHHHHHH smooooooooooooooooooooooother. Rico sauve style. There ended up being Queues, but the Login Server was ALWAYS fast, and the game was responsive. Operationally, ****'s launch smoked this launch all over the place. All the quests worked, **** seemed tested... Yea, way to totally skip the launch that kicked the crap out of this one.

We should expect better. Anyone that's been around knows that 1 month of beta is like no where near enough.
Sure, it launched smoothly, but there were up to 5 hour waits to get into the servers. I'd call that a failure, in its own right. The big issue they had were the AFK stores which kept the server loads from lowering and allowing waiting players a chance to get into the server. That's something they should have picked up on in beta and fixed. They didn't.

And it's easier keep a server from crashing when you cap it like that. You don't end up with loads exceeding the capacity limit of the server. But you do end up with people waiting to get in. It's a trade off.

And while Lineage II, DDO and Jumpgate may have been smoother launches, I doubt they had as many people trying to play. Plus, they were all pretty poor games. At least STO is fun to play. I won't repeat the point about translated releases, though.