View Single Post
Lt. Commander
# 12
01-31-2010, 04:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightsbane View Post
yeah I remember "the old days' but those standards have been gone for years. Warhammer, lotro, and others have had far less to no problems in their headstarts for several years now.

You can't bring up old examples anymore when other games are handling it fine. They didn't test enough with only two weeks, that's the issue here.
Exactly. I guess a lot of people haven't been through *recent* MMO headstarts, but the bar has been raised a bit since the early days of MMOs in this area. WAR had a pretty smooth headstart with no major outages, and LOTRO was probably the smoothest MMO launch to date. Even Conan had a good launch, as flawed as that game actually was -- launch wasn't one of its problems.

I think what happened here is that the server design (one server cluster facilitated by heavy use of instancing) may not quite be up to the loads they are getting. What I am noticing is that the game is often hanging on session changes before it crashes -- the handoffs from instance/zone to instance/zone. This does not bode well, because this is a part of core architecture of the game, really.